55 Gallon plastic barrels for fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as it is #2 HDPE it'll be fine. I'd say go for it.

Keep in mind some people believe HDPE is bad for long-term aging of beer (more than a few months). I don't know, I've never aged anything for that long.

also what was in them b4

I don't know, but
BARRELS Contained a FOOD GRADE Product , NO Chemicals, NO Soaps, NO Oils.

Leads me to believe they are food grade. Post also recommends use for water storage.

Is 55 gallons too large to deal with? I mean, even in 10 gallon or 20 gallon batches you aren't even half way there! Seems more like something a microbrewery might be able to use.

I made 40 gallons of cider in one last year. It worked great. It was only in it for 3 weeks then went into demijohns.

I'm actually thinking this would make a pretty decent bottling bucket at the nano scale.

I have one of these that I cut the top off and made an MLT for my 1bbl system. Works great. Insulated it with water heater blankets.
I also have one that I cut the top off and turned into a 55 gallon bottling bucket. It did the job the day I needed to bottle a 35 gallon batch. But I'll never do that again. :drunk:

There are a few breweries around here that ferment in the 55 gallon open top barrels and use food grade liners for easier cleanup.

Geez, what size batches are you brewing?

Also, where in Orlando are you?

Ha, atm I do 5 gallon batches in stinking 20 and 16 qt pots (BIAB mash half the recipe in 16 while boiling in the 20). Like I mentioned I've seen this on CL for a while so I'm figuring they'll be selling in the future as well. I figure I might get a barrel to hold potable water if a hurricane comes along until I actually do have use for it.

I live on the east side, about 6 miles from UCF.

Back