55 gallon brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bb239605

Reaction score
Well the idea started when the homebrew club I am in happened to inherit an old whiskey barrel that was then used as a wine barrel by a member's uncle.

Anyway he passed away, so we got the barrel. It has been used for whiskey and wine, and now we wanted to do a beer in it. So the idea was born.

Well we procrastinated about a year, and finally this past weekend got got to it. We scaled up the 08.08.08 RIS, and did 2 separate series of mashes with 6 different mash tuns. The day began at 9am on Saturday and ended at 8pm. One heck of a long day of brewing. Everything went with out a hitch and we ended up with 60gallons at a higher SG than we were aiming for.

We are thinking of doing a primary for 2 weeks followed by putting it into the barrel for 4 weeks then bottling.

I will have to post some pics, and initial tasting notes. I think it will be about a year before it is even good to drink.

That is SO awesome. And like drat said, why only 4 weeks? It's a big beer, why not let it condition in the barrel instead of the bottle?

Maybe so everybody can take some home instead of one person keeping and distributing it for however long it takes for the group to drink 55 gallons.

Back