55 Gal Blichmann on Bayou KAB6?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelakebrewing

Reaction score
Ive maxed out my system and Im looking to upgrage to large mashtun and kettle. I was looking at something like this:

http://morebeer.com/products/blichm...rew-pot.html?gclid=CPKcrvvQgLkCFchxQgodlh0Aug

my question is, would I also need to upgrade my heating element? I currently use the Bayou classic KAB6 for 12 gallon batches no problem, however, would it hold up for a 40 gallon brew? It has been rated anywhere from 85k - 210+ btu's by different sources. Here it is:

https://www.annapolishomebrew.com/p/1798/cooker-kab6

If this wont work, does anyone have a recommendation of what would?

We've heard lots of issues with trying to heat larger kettles with propane. A lot of the time you'll get a boil on the bottom half of the kettle but not the top. A RIMS or HERMS system may work better.

Hmm, maybe Im missing something, but would stirring not distribute the warmer liquid below to mix with the above wort to even the temperature and eventually bring the entire amount to a boil?

I have personally witnessed a Blichmann 55 gallon kettle full nearly to the top at a nice rolling boil on the standard Blichmann burner. The burner linked to above looks to have the identical center (burner) section so I would say it is entirely realistic that it would work. I will say however that I would not trust the structure of that burner (the frame) to support the kettle and 50+ gallons. The Blichmann is far more robust in build and material. The 55 gallon kettle was perfectly stable on the Blichmann burner (short legs not the extended length legs).

It would take 48,640 btus to raise 40 gallons of water from 60* to a boil. Wort would take a little longer due to it being heavier. If your burner were 210,000 btu's and would deliver 100% of that heat into the kettle (which it won't) it would raise that 40 gallons to a boil in approx. 14 minutes. Assuming you would get 75% efficiency from your burner to the kettle you could achieve a boil in 18.5 minutes.

damn dude sweet math, thats awesome. thanks!

Mblanks2 - you seem like a math guys, which clearly I am not, so I have another question for you. I bought a large pot which the seller thought was 55 gallons. Im curious as to its actual size? its 17.75 inches diameter and 44 inches tall. Is there a way to calculate the volume in gallons using those measurements?

Thanks yall

It would take 48,640 btus to raise 40 gallons of water from 60* to a boil. Wort would take a little longer due to it being heavier. If your burner were 210,000 btu's and would deliver 100% of that heat into the kettle (which it won't) it would raise that 40 gallons to a boil in approx. 14 minutes. Assuming you would get 75% efficiency from your burner to the kettle you could achieve a boil in 18.5 minutes.

More like 20-25% efficiency. It's nowhere near 75%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblanks2 View Post

More like 20-25% efficiency.

I did say assume and I would assume a little higher efficiency than 25%, but I have a shielding built around my burners to allow only minimal heat to escape.

Back