50a herms controller build questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superstorm204

Reaction score
im torn between a pwm and a pid for the boil. i really like the idea of being able to adjust boil intensity with pwm. i still plan on having 2 pid for mash and hlt. will the pid apply full power like the pwm?

Just ensure you purchase a PID with manual function. Me personally I like Pwm for the boil

I have always used a PID for my boil in my 50a system. Am building a new and improved 50a brewery and still using a PID.

Use them both. You can wire a switch between the two controller outputs and use just 1 Ssr. I used a few sets of contact blocks to do so but I got the results I wanted.

I'm leaning toward pwm. I like the analog look of a knob.. thank you for your imputs.

The issue I have with PWM is that you can't do extended hop stands at specific temps like you can with a PID.

With a PID the boil vigorousness is controlled by setting the duty cycle from 0-100% by using up/down buttons to change the number. With a PWM device you simply turn the knob so it's faster. Both control the vigorousness of the boil well, but PWM is faster to initially set. The thing is, it's not something you play with. You set it once and leave it, and leave it the same way forever.

For example, I use a PID and while getting up to boil I run the PID at 100% to heat as fast as possible. Once I get to boil I press the down button a few times to get to 85% and then leave it there for the whole hour or two of boil. There's no reason to play with it.

If I want to then do a 80-90 min extended hop stand after the boil (ex: Heady Topper), I switch the PID over to auto mode and enter the temperature I want to hold. A PWM can't do this. It's manual only.

A PWM device could maybe shave a second or two off the time to turn down the power while boiling, but then you can't do 80-90 min hop stands held at specific temps.

I looked at PWM devices when designing my panel way back in 2008 but decided against it to not limit what I could do in the future.

Give & take. YMMV!

Kal

In addition to what Kal says, if you want to use your electric brewery to make sous vide, PID is better.

I have used my ebrewery to make sous vide more than I have used it to make beer. Not to say I haven't made plenty of beer.

But I also do hop stands on occasion and once again, as Kal mentioned, can't do that with the PWM.

I strongly considered the Auber power regulator, but ultimately wanted the additional capabilities of a PID.

In addition to what Kal says, if you want to use your electric brewery to make sous vide, PID is better.
Not just better, but a PID actually makes sous-vide possible. ;) It's impossible to do sous-vide cooking with a PWM as you cannot set temperature.

Good luck!

Kal

And I you are not familiar with Sous Vide you should be, hands down complete awesomeness.

so would i have a pid and power reg to control the bk and have a switch to select either pid or power reg?

so would i have a pid and power reg to control the bk and have a switch to select either pid or power reg?
No, the PID does both manual and auto. The PWM (power reg) only does manual. If you use a PID, you don't need a PWM (power reg).

Kal

It should be mentioned that you need to buy a model pid with the Manual/pwm mode function built in ... many auber models or the mypin "TD" series such as the TD4-snr have it. models like the rex c100, cheapest auber unit and mypin TA series do not.
I dont know how involved it is to switch between manual and auto on an auber unit but from the amount of people who add a switch and a secondary pwm knob control with auber units it must be more complicated than the mypins because its very simple on a mypin... Hold the "M" button down for three seconds and your in manual mode when the green light comes on to indicate it.... Then you just set you %% value and hit "set" pretty straight forward and not the rocket science some make it out to be... But then again for some (like my late father) operating a tv remote vs using a knob is an ordeal so it depends on the operator.

It isn't all that complicated, main 2 reasons I did it are because I will likely forget the procedure to switch between brew sessions (Likely months apart). And for the bling factor.

It isn't all that complicated, main 2 reasons I did it are because I will likely forget the procedure to switch between brew sessions (Likely months apart). And for the bling factor.

Nothing wrong with that... I have seen many complain that its too complicated on their auber units and that was the main reason for my post... I do think most who build these units use them more than a few times a year so the bling or nerd factor of a cooler looking panel is the driving force... and yeah im one of the engineering nerds too... :mug: Just wanted to share that its totally not needed for practical reasons in most cases, as Kal did..

Back