500ml starter from dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTarnamins

Reaction score
How would you make a 500ml starter from dry yeast.

I made a 1.040 wort in a flask. Added yeast nutrients. Cooled to room temp. Dumped in dry yeast, stired, aeriated with pure o2, and nothing has happened.

What did I do wrong.

Any suggestions???? What to do next time.

Thanks,

I'm not sure why you would bother making a starter from dry yeast unless you were unsure of its viability or something. But regarding your question, how long has it been? You may have already missed the fermentation, or it might not have started.

The way I understand it, they recommend against making a starter when using dry yeast.
The reason for making a starter with liquid yeast is to increase yeast cell numbers and prepare the yeast for fermentation.
With dry yeast you have sufficient numbers of cells and the yeast has been carefully prepared at the "factory" to go to work.
The only thing necessary is to properly rehydrate according to instructions.

That's all I do.
I add a little sugar just to make it really happy and make sure it's still alive.
A lot of the HBS in the UK do not keep it refrigerated.

Fireloo is correct.

The reason yours may not have taken off yet is that you need to proof your yeast before dumping it into wort (or starter). The dried yeast need to rehydrate in water first. If you put them into a solution with alot of sugar in it they will succumb to the osmotic pressure and burst or die.

Got Trub? said:
Fireloo is correct.

The reason yours may not have taken off yet is that you need to proof your yeast before dumping it into wort (or starter). The dried yeast need to rehydrate in water first. If you put them into a solution with alot of sugar in it they will succumb to the osmotic pressure and burst or die.

You don't need to but it can help.

Thanks for the help. I was trying to make a big starter to split between two batches that I was planning for the same day.

I'll know next time. I didn't get to brew last night because I killed all the yeasties, poor guys :( . I've always used smack packs and wanted to try something different. Plus I just received a stir plate and yeast starter kit.

Guess I'll be brewing tomorrow if I can get some more yeast from the local HBS.

Thanks again for the great advise.

I wouldn't give up on the dry yeast that fast. You yeast will probably take off shortly.
I have found that the lag time associated with dry yeast to be a lot more than me using a sufficient amount of a liquid starter.

I would pitch your starter into your wort if it is done and not worry for a day.

Back