50 Liter keg - interior dimensions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBow

Reaction score
Anyone know the interior dimensions of a 50 liter keg?
Would the standard 15" false bottom work or will it need to be a smaller, custom size?

The plan would be to use it as an MLT - cut off the bottom of the keg, flip it over and use it as a bottom drain out of the tri-clover fitting if that makes any difference.

thanks

The one I have is 15" diameter, fits same false bottom as a 1/2 barrel keg.

It seems the valve neck would work with a 2" TC, it might be a little smaller diameter. I'm not sure if it's different from 1/2 barrel kegs.

I would be interested in any updates on the conversion.
I have a 50 liter keg and I need a new mlt.

I would be interested in any updates on the conversion.
I have a 50 liter keg and I need a new mlt.

Sorry, just saw this.
I haven't started the conversion, I don't even have the keg yet, I just have access to black-rubber-exterior 50 liter kegs and I'm trying to decide if the favorable pricing would be worth the hassle of the black rubber and "odd" sizing.
It appears the standard 15" FB's would work which takes care of potential issue #2, so now just have to worry about issue #1

I was PM'ing with Jaybird and he said the 50L kegs do come in different sizes and that is definitely the case. I got one of them from the local micro and it is definitely not 15" across, probably going to be more like 12-13 but I won't know for sure until I open her up and measure the actual interior diameter.
This is a black rubber coated keg so that also might make a difference compared to an all-stainless 50L keg, not sure tho

Back