50 lb. Corn Grits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdilly10

Reaction score
I got a free 50 lb. bag of corn grits. Any suggestions on what to do with it? Can you use it as a base malt and would I have to do a cereal mash?

You need to mash it with something that will convert. Doesn't necessarily have to be a cereal mash but if you are using it in your regular mash you need to double check that you have the diastic power to convert.

You need to do a cereal mash with grits to gelatinize the starches, you could either mash additional barley to convert or buy amylase enzyme.

You also could if you wanted add an enzyme blend of beta and alpha amaylase enzyme to a mash at your normal mash temp and use it as a base malt. I would imagine that you would want some flaked barley and some specialty grains to provide some longer chain sugars.

No need to buy an enzyme blend when you already produce your own: make some chicha. Washing down some grits with moonshine sounds good too, unless you want to use it as chicken feed. If you're hell-bent on using it for beer, you'd only need about a lb of 2-row or 6-row to convert 2-3 lbs of corn, although you'd be a little short on both husk material and taste.

Latest posts

Back