$50 Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
I've got an offer to sell me a keg for $60. I just brewed my first AG batch Sunday and am in dire straits (not the band) needing/wanting a lg boil pot. (for the record I brewed a session ale <4% alc) I've got questions! My local restaurant supply store sells 40 qt stainless pots for $115 and aluminum for $95. I was planning on getting the stainless for Christmas. But I've always been intrigued with having a keggle.

Are they efficient to heat up?
Faster or slower than a pot to heat up?
Other than cutting out the top, what else has to be done?

Schlante,
Phillip

They're really no different than the large pots you'll find at restaurant supply stores. All you have to do besides cut the top off is wash it out and you're good.

Go for the keg, it lasts a lifetime. Good 15 gallon SS pots are $200.00 to $280.00 or more. I would not go smaller.

I would go with the keg too. Add a ball valve and a sight gauge, and you have the last kettle you will ever need.

Here is another option. Heats up a lot faster than the keggle. I think Evan! has a few.
60 quart Aluminum Stockpot

They're really no different than the large pots you'll find at restaurant supply stores. All you have to do besides cut the top off is wash it out and you're good.

Is the metal gauge heavy enough to support putting in a ball valve? Can it be reliably drilled?

Also no comments on the "efficiency" of heating the kettle vs a pot. Is there a difference?

Thanks for the info so far.

Schlante,
Phillip

A good aluminum stock pot will support a ball valve with no problems, it takes about 15 minutes provided you have the right tools. Install a bazooka screen on the inside and you have a decent hop/break filter as well.
100_5645.jpg

A good aluminum stock pot will support a ball valve with no problems, it takes about 15 minutes provided you have the right tools. Install a bazooka screen on the inside and you have a decent hop/break filter as well.
100_5645.jpg

Could you please elaborate on what are the right tools?

Delpo

The right tools consist of a decent corded or cordless drill. A hole saw or step drill bit in the correct size (I think it's 3/4", but am not sure). The ball valves are around $30-36 dollars depending on where you buy, and I think there are some cheaper sources as well. A good crescent wrench and a set of large jawed pliers to tighten down the ball valve will complete the job in no time flat.

if you have a local beer distributor go hit them up. if yuo see the bud guy dropping off beer ask them if they have any decommissioned kegs they want to sell. he can hit his boss up and find out. always worth a shot.

Back