5 years in primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidaddytn

Reaction score
This might be a record. I have not brewed in 5 years, due to just not having time and having a second kid. Before I quit, a buddy and I did 4 5 gallon batches, one of which was apfelwein. When bottling day came around we finished bottling all the beer, but didn't have time to finish the last carboy (which was apfelwein). I moved this into a colder basement closet to do later, and there it has sat for 5 long years. I finally pulled it out today. It had a small amount of foam like sediment on the top of it, but other than that it looks fine. Obviously the fermentation ended over 4 years ago, LOL.

I've never dumped a carboy before, but after 5 years?? anyone ever left anything that long? So before it was put in the closet, I pulled the blow tube out of the rubber stopper and just rubber banded saran wrap over the top as a makeshift temporary seal.

>Aaaaand how does it taste?

I'm scared to try it... lol, but I guess in reality there is no other way I can know...

>Sounds like it might be awesome... or at least good vinegar.

Maybe I could mix a sample with baking soda to see if makes a Volcano?

>If you try it can I have your stuff?

Thats a good point, maybe I need to update my will first? lol

It's not hazardous in any way.

Don't mix with baking soda. If it's vinegary you'll be able to tell easily just by the aroma, and it's still ok to taste it.

Can't it just be treated like a giant bottle of beer that's five years old?
I might be tempted to charge it with some yeast and bottle it for real.

You should taste before you dump. I found an old carboy of honey fortified hard cider I forgot in my mom's basement for over 10 years, it tasted like sherry.

You should taste before you dump. I found an old carboy of honey fortified hard cider I forgot in my mom's basement for over 10 years, it tasted like sherry.
Who said anything about dumping? Maybe it's awesome.

I have to admit, nothing I've ever made, made it to its first birthday (though many of my styles were supposed to reach well past that) so all of my input is pure speculation.

Really dude? Just Keg or bottle the sh*t and drink it

1207192339_QR.JPG
1207192346_QR.JPG

Ok... I opened her up, no foul smell. BUT-- definitely doesn't smell like Apfelwein. It smells like a specialty liquor.... bizarre. I took a sample and tasted it. Definitely not vinegar, and it definitely still feels like a high gravity beverage. Little doubt in my mind that it would get you hammered if you drank a lot of it. The smell is actually very nice, I can't really place the taste though or know whether or not I will like this or not... The smell actually semi reminds me of bourbon, oddly enough

We did put extra corn sugar in the batch, I do remember that. It would have been around 8-9% if done normally.

>You should taste before you dump. I found an old carboy of honey fortified hard cider I forgot in my mom's basement for over 10 years, it >tasted like sherry.

I'm going to have to buy some sherry because I can't remember what that is supposed to taste like.

Now, I'm wondering at this point, could any yeast be still alive in there? If I use natural carbonation technique, I wonder if it will still actually work? Fortunately I have a Growler werks co2 unit that can be used to force a little bit of co2 in a small growler. I might give that a shot first to see if this is going to be drinkable for me.

This was moved into the closet maybe 3 months after start of fermentation, so undoubtably there was still a very small amount of fermentation still happening in there, it might have built of a layer of co2 that helped protect it. Although I don't know how long that could have lasted.

Last edited:
A co2 blanket only lasts as long as co2 is being actively produced. That would be in quantities exceeding the ability of oxygen to mix with the co2. It does happen, the "blanket" idea is not real, the gasses will mix together with time.

If you choose to naturally carbonate, you will need to add fresh yeast.

Procedure:
Properly rehydrate and make a small starter with some EC-1118 the day before.
Add your priming sugar to bottling bucket before racking.
Add the yeast midway through racking.

Back