5 year old hard cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shrimposter

Reaction score
So my mom made hard cider 5 years ago, it's still in the glass carboy. It has never been opened. What are the odds that it's any good, or do you think it is just going to turn into vinegar. I tried asking details and she doesn't remember or wrote anything down

Taste is the only way my friend...grab a sample and smell it first...if it smells ok/good give it a try...if it doesn't then i'd be willing to bet you are outta luck!

Don't worry it won't kill ya if you do try it...vomiting may occur but definitely won't kill ya!

My guess is its bad by now, considering the conditions its been left in...temp swings, etc.

It's north Idaho cold there, and summers are hot hot hot so I'm guessing it's probably no good, but I won't know till this summer when I crack it open 👐

A lot depends on how much oxygen has got in. If it is a higher gravity "fortified" cider, it may even have improved. I opened a carboy of cider had forgot in my parent's house cellar for 25 years, and it had a sherry like taste, different, but still drinkable.

I made a bunch of cider in August and September of 2020 (32 gallons worth), and it was TERRIBLE! But since I have a gazillion bottles of the stuff, we've been breaking it out for company every now and again, and in the past month or so, not only is it "not bad" but now it's actively good.

Back