5 tap Tower Keezer build with oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knash3

Reaction score
Just finished a long running keezer build, over a year with long idle periods. Here's my summary advice about doing this - don't! It's like building a submarine with wheels: every single component (except faucets) was designed for a purpose other than the one for which you're using it. Skills and tools required include framing, finish carpentry, HVAC, wood finishing (CV), electrical, tile work, and plumbing.
But, if like me, you're continuing construction from the basement bar and can't live with something that looks like an appliance, by all means go for it!
Stuff that went right: The temp controller works as designed, airflow seems adequate (comp fans in framing switched with freezer), cooling in tower with air pulled from the freezer and returned through fans in duct boxes, flanges with setscrews on beer shanks are rock solid, Perlicks look good, beer is cold.

Lessons learned: Glass tile is expensive and NOT light - would use something different were there a next time. Would prefer CO2 and Nitro outside the freezer, but found no clean way to route lines without a collar (too tall). Tower would be better more forward. Color match EVERY piece against a sample when staining and finishing.

So, first pint pours in an hour, and the good part starts:mug:
Thanks to all who posted their build tips, saved me a bunch of trouble I'm sure.

FB_IMG_14405349087902535.jpg

FB_IMG_14403634168992784.jpg

FB_IMG_14405349383936624.jpg

FB_IMG_14403601978712718.jpg

Looks awesome! I'm starting an oak build myself but only a 5cf with 2 taps. How did you attach the trim pieces to the top and did you put cement board or anything under the tile? Also, what did you use to attach the front and side plywood pieces?

The top is 3/4" cabinet grade plywood attached to the factory lid with T-bolts. Recesses for the T bolts were cut with forstner bit on top. On top of that is 1/4" durock that's coated with a waterproof membrane under the tile. Re attaching sides, they're over a 2X4 frame set on top of the base on which the freezer sits. Think wall studs and toe/head boards. The side panels are 1/4" oak ply with cope & stick 3/4" hardwood rails and stiles. Those are attached to the stud frame with trim screws and glue.

Back