$5 Stirplate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Our fairgrounds had a model train show and i was able to pick up the transformer for 3 bucks, spent 1 buck on a 5/8ths dowel rod from walmart, and 1 buck for the 7 by 7 plexiglass.

the other plexiglas piece i had and i put it all together with hot glue. The magnets and fan came from my old comp, and the 3 inch bolts came from the garage.

what do you think? This was my first do it yourself project.. next is a counterflow chiller

[img=http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1337/1001301zr8.th.jpg]

I just pull those thin magnets out of a hard drive like the ones you have. To me they seem very weak compared to the rare earth magnets I have on my homemade stir plate. Let me know if they do work gfor you.

Hmmm? My hard drive magnets look like those, and all hard drive magnets are rare earth magnets.

Looks good, Mirlis. Can we get a pron vortex shot? :D

sure, ill post one as soon as my stirbar and flasks come in. I will have to adjust the fan up or down on the 4 bolts to achive best result then ill hot glue it and the transformer to the base and be complete. I just cant find a place that sell teflon coated stirbars, and i want one now and not in a week if i order it off the net

I have see both style of magnets from hard drives, what I was referring to was the thickness. I have seen thin and thick versions. The recent hard drive I took apart had the really thin ones and it was not very strong.

Latest posts

Back