Quantcast

5 or 5.5 gallon batch??

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

zanemoseley

Reaction score
So I'm a bit confused about batch sizes needed. My first brew I topped off to exactly 5 gallons and I ended up getting about 4 less bottles then I expected (54), I thought this was probably due to the liquid left in the trub and yeast cake. So the second batch I topped off to 5.5 gallons and my OG was low from the instructions. So which is right?

dontman

Reaction score
Going by the straight math you should get about 53 bottles to a 5 gallon batch but for me anywhere in the neighborhood of from 48 up to 55 is cool with me. I'd say 50 is average for me subtracting trub.

double_e5

Reaction score
If you are referring to kits, most extract kits are put together for 5 gal. into the fermenter. Where you are seeing 5.5 gallon batches is probably when people are formulating their own recipes to make up for the extra 1/2 gal.

As dontman said, I also average about 50 bottles for a 5 gal. batch.

ifishsum

Reaction score
I'd be more concerned about having the correct gravity than having a certain number of bottles. Try this- top up to 5 gallons, stir very well and take the gravity. If you're still a little over what the recipe says, then you can top up to 5.5 and get those extra bottles without watering down the recipe.

I purposely adjust my batches for 5.5 gallons so I get the best of both worlds :D