5 minute inspection for bulk 1/2 bbl / corny keg purchase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsdx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tonight a friend is going to be looking several dozen kegs to evaluate if we want to buy them. Probably mostly cornys and to a lesser extent some 1/2 bbl kegs. We know how to identify pin lock vs ball lock (assuming those are the only two types on a corny that we would care about for connecting to). We know what a sanke tap looks like and it is pretty likely to all be sanke 1/2 bbl. We know about the intricacies of ownership. I know about the drain holes in sanke rims and those could be added later if missing.

When considering the feasibility of the equipment, what kind of red flags should we look for? We'll probably put a little elbow work into reconditioning but we don't want to end up with a bunch of junk. Thanks.

the guys at work went together and bought 10 cornys, If they had pressure in them they were good. one had a lid that couldn't seal and we should have rejected it because it has been a PITA.
The price was good enough that we didn't mind replacing a few posts and planed to tare every thing apart to replace o-rings.

For sankes, frankly I'd skip Hoff Stevens and any other ones that are bowed in the belly and not straight sided. You can deal with a few dents and dings.

On the cornies, if you pull the vent on the lid or press the poppet and get a hiss, it's holding pressure and a winner. Any that don't hiss should be looked at closer but I still wouldn't rule it out by any means. Just make sure it has both posts and that it's not bent near where the lid seals. Basically any keg that doesn't have visual damage on the top should be workable.

If they are not guarenteed to hold pressure, they're worth less than $10 each. Don't pay more than that.

Check for rust around the spear of the sankes. I just bought one, and when I took out the spear, it must have been made of chromed mild steel, because it was totally rusted. The shell had surface rust where it contacted the spear, but no pitting. I assume it's salvageable, but the spear is toast.

I'd pull the spears, but that will take a bit more time.

Back