5 liter mini keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxman06

Reaction score
Do any of you use these and do they work good, the only experience I have with them all I got out of the tap was foam. So if you may no a good way to carbonate but not over carbonate I would love to no thanks

I brewed a Brown Ale and used a mini keg with it one time. There was a bit of foam to start, but it quieted down some after a couple of pours.

A friend of mine has used them a few times. I think he fills them from his Corny keg, but then when he opens it he attaches a CO2 adapter to the bung on top and fills the headspace with CO2 to help keep the Oxygen out and the beer fresher longer.

As far as I know he can't put enough pressure on the system to force carb, but there is enough to help keep the beer from going flat as fast.

I use 5 liters mini kegs very often, with no problem.

I fill them with carbonated beer (5 grams co2/liter), direct from the keg, with Blichmann Beergun. I chill the beer to around 3 C, before filling.

I use a speciel "beer grease" to lubricate the bung before closing the mini-keg. It helps protecting the edge of the keg, and the prevents leak if the bung is scratched of wear.

When serving i only use this tap:
http://www.fass-frisch.de/english/produkte/psdl1.htm.

I get the best result when serving if the mini keg is placed in a bucket with ice.
Insert the tap, and start pouring beer, with the co2 valve CLOSED. The very first beer can foam some, but after 20 cl i pours fine. When the speed of the beer slows down, then open the co2-valve very very gentle, to the flow becomes steady again.

To much presure and the pour is impossible to control, and after som days left in the fridge the beer is overcarbonated. To little pressure, it takes forever to pour, aND the beer turns flat after a couple of days.

good luck.

Cheers

how long will it stay good after you fill it with the beer gun. i have only tried natural carbonation not from a keg i will have to try that. i have the same tap.

I "bung" it imidiately after filling with the Blichman Beergun.

Then back to the fridge at 3 C.

I have recently 2 5L kegs in the fridge unopened i 3 month, while collecting different beer to a party.

I once had one open, fitted with the delux tap, in my fridge for 3 weeks with no problem, and i could probably have stayed there several more weeks.

If the keg is in ok, no rust, no scratches etc, then the "shelf life" of the beer in the 5L keg, is more dependend on the cleaning and sanitation of the keg, pipes, hoses, etc. than the keg it self.

I rince the kegs with warm water instantly after it's emptied.

Before use, I clean them with a mild caustic solution, rinse, and sanitize them with an iodine solution, and rinse.

Al equipment is either boiled or sanitized before use.

Though I haven't used it in a few years, I have one of the PhilTaps and about ten mini-kegs.

The only problem I have had with about the 20-25 times I used it was when *I* messed up and didn't let my beer completely finish fermenting (I used to take a five gallon batch and split it between two mini-kegs and bottle the rest - in the instances where there I didn't let the beer completely ferment out, I had bottle gushers as well). One mini-keg started bouncing on the shelf about a week after filling as the pressure started to punch change the shape of the bottom. It NEVER exploded or even pushed the bung out, though it wouldn't sit any more as eventually the bottom was too messed-up. And I did try my best to get something to happen by repeated tossing it off the deck onto the frozen lawn and concrete, but it never breached. Pretty tough little mother.

But it is really easy to use and always works well (when I don't mess up). Typically, I add the dextrose dry to the beer in keg, seal it (using food-grade lube makes life easier) and gently roll it on the floor for about 30 seconds and then store in a cool place for two weeks before tapping. When taping, no need to use the CO2 charger for about the first half to push beer out. Then use the CO2 charger to finish pushing the beer out.

I think I have kept one tapped and cold for a couple of weeks in the fridge and it tasted fine. I have kept some high alcohol Imperial Stouts in them for several months (well over a year) without issue. I have read that you need to be careful when cleaning as to not scratch the interior coating as that will contaminate the beer, but seem to have not done that. I rinse immediately when empty, use a gentle dishwashing soap and store - getting them to completely dry is always a challenge.

Listermann used to make and sell the PhilTap, both at his place and to other stores for resale (I got mine with four mini-kegs, bungs and a dozen or so CO2 cartridges at Northern Brewer for about $100 in the early 2000s). He quit selling to other retailers a while ago and no longer makes/sells it. It's a well-designed, well-built sturdy little device.

Back