5 gallons to 10 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haldedrums

Reaction score
I am interested in increasing the amount of beer I am able to brew in one brew day. Currently I can brew 5 gallon batches using an oversized "weekend cooler" for my mash tun, and a 44 quart boil pot. I then keg in 5 gallon corny kegs. I would like to be able to do a 10 gallon batch of a oatmeal stout in a few weekends, and thought that maybe using the correct number of grains for said 10 gallon batch in my mash tun, following the appropriate mash schedule, lautering to approx. 7.5 gallon pre-boil volume, boiling for an hour with hops additions, then splitting the post boil volume evenly into 2 corny kegs, finally topping off to 5 gallons each with filtered water would yield me 10 gallons.

Does anyone see where I might run in to problems doing this? I don't think I can go much past 9 gallons pre-boil in my 44 quart boil pot, and typically I lose 2 gallons during my boil...obviously yielding far less than the desired 1o gallon batch.

Any suggestions? I know I could buy a bigger boil pot, but thought maybe going this route would save money?

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks guys!!
MH

The only thing I can see is that you'll be limited on the gravity you can attain with your 10 gallon MLT. BobbyM has a chart posted somewhere with the maximum gravity you can attain with different efficiencies based on MLT volumes.

I would worry about how good a rinse you could get with so little sparging
It might drive efficensy way down

Im soo glad the hot water tanks here are usually stainless, giving me good accsess to free big kettles

Back