5 gallons to 10 gallons, what changes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptsparkle

Reaction score
Hello all,

I return to the states in four weeks and will immediately start the assembly of a 10 gallon, all grain system.

Having been a 5 gallon brewer for 10 years, I'm curious as to what do I change in order to brew the doubled capacity.

Do I simply double the recipe or is there a ratio of some sorts that I'm looking for?

I've got the three kettles, three burners, two pumps and a wort chiller sitting in my garage just waiting for me to get back.

I do want to compliment all the contributers to this forum. I'm completing a year long tour in Iraq (my third visit) and visits to this forum has kept my brewing fire burning. Thanks for all the great tips and extremely informative information I've picked up over the last year.

Just double everything, no other scaling factors involved.

If you go from homebrew to commercial scale, I've heard that you might need to use a little less specialty malts, but at the homebrew scale, just multiply or divide everything by the same number and you're golden. :mug:

Definitely get some brewing software. But, yes, as long as everything is exactly doubled (including boil size) then just multiply x2.

Just double everything, no other scaling factors involved.

Wasn't there a thread where folks were reporting that 10gal AG batches were requiring odd/unexpected strike temp modifications? I just sniffed around for that thread but couldn't find it.

Thanks for the replies folks, I'm eased somewhat.

I have the software.

I never heard of a different strike temp for 10 GAL vs. 5 GAL. I actually can't see why there would be a different strike temp required. Temperature is temperature regardless of volume. It would be interesting to read the reasoning though.

I'm completing a year long tour in Iraq (my third visit) and visits to this forum has kept my brewing fire burning.

CPT,

I spent a yearthere in '05. At that time I was not into brewing my own. But now that there is a possibility of going again (soon) I don't know if I would be able to adhere to General Order 1A. Then again, if I made up a few batches of wine before I left I wouldn't be tempted to mess with them for a year.

Where do you hand your beret stateside?

Back