5 gallons of Watermelon juice for nothing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmmbeer

Reaction score
I've been brewing beer for some time now and as of last year decided to try a few batches of wine.
My last go was a watermelon wine. I pressed about 80lbs worth of watermelon, added a bit of tannin, about 5 cups of sugar, 1 can of white grape juice concentrate 5 cambden tablets but :(forgot to add the acid blend. I let it all sit for 24 hours then added the wine yeast and after about 3 weeks and a fresh rack to a new carboy and tasted it and it already has lost its watermelon taste.

My SG was only about 6% alcohol and thats all I taste...

What can I do next or next time I try this to keep that flavor I'm looking for or at least make it taste better then it does now?

I'm letting it clear/age in hopes it is at least drinkable.

Thanks for the input.

Usually, for wine you check the SG and add enough simple sugar (usually table sugar) to bring up the OG to a wine level- most often 1.085-1.100.

You can still do this- check out jackkeller.net's recipes for watermelon wine to get an idea of how to proceed with what you have. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/watermel.asp

Usually, for wine you check the SG and add enough simple sugar (usually table sugar) to bring up the OG to a wine level- most often 1.085-1.100.

You can still do this- check out jackkeller.net's recipes for watermelon wine to get an idea of how to proceed with what you have. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/watermel.asp

yeah, I went for a low SG just to make it a simple easy wine and in hopes it would keep the watermelon flavor too.

Thanks for the input though

You can add acid after the fact, it doesn't have to be added early. Try it in a sample and see if it helps.

You can add acid after the fact, it doesn't have to be added early. Try it in a sample and see if it helps.

Thank you! I wasn't sure and didn't see anyone note this anywhere else. I'll give it a try... I'm afraid watermelon wine doesn't hold its flavor due to the "pulp" settling out of it. It was worth a try seeing how i got it for 15 cents a pound.

Yooper is correct. For a wine you need to bring the ABV up ... Otherwise it is something else (like a cider or perry).

In either case, For more watermelon taste, let it ferment out then backsweeten with sweet watermelon juice. That will give you what you want.

Yooper is correct. For a wine you need to bring the ABV up ... Otherwise it is something else (like a cider or perry).

In either case, For more watermelon taste, let it ferment out then backsweeten with sweet watermelon juice. That will give you what you want.

Back sweeten, I thought of that but wondered if the fact that within 24 hours the "pulp" will settle so I figured I'd be in the same boat I'm in now. I'll at least try it.

Back