5 Gallons is too much, I want to try a new batch size...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscoKyle

Reaction score
I will be living on my own and I want to start brewing smaller batch sizes so I can make more batches and not have 500 bottles of beer that I will never be able to drink. Also, I think it would help me try new things on a smaller scale.

SO, how would I change a recipe to accomodate for a smaller batch? Meaning if I brewed 2.5 gallons instead of 5, would I just use half of everything?

Also, what are some important things to look out for when brewing in smaller batches?

Half everything except the yeast. I can't think of anything else you would need to know about brewing 2.5 gallons that isn't the same as brewing 5 except if you go from partial to full boils. You might have to adjust your hops down to account for better hop utilization.

Or you could post a general area where you live. I know if you're anywhere near me, I'd probably be willing to split the cost of ingredients and help with the brewing. If you're in a reasonably populated area, I'm sure you could find a brewing buddy.

You might consider using Beersmith or other software, and dial in your batch size, to finetune your scaled-down recipes. Best wishes,

Jim

I'm with the OP on this. I've been doing 5 gallon batches and plan on brewing this weekend. My wife just asked how much beer I currently have and frankly it's too much. Now, I *could* find more friends to give my beer to, but I could also use smaller equipment and just brew more often. I like the variety too, so that is a bonus.

Of course, the amount of time you spend brewing will be very nearly the same as for 5 gallons.

I might only brew 5 gallons if need be, like to fill the kegs when they get empty. But I could brew more bigger beers and stuff using smaller fermenters.

After reading this thread, I've decided on setting up a new "excess beer collection service" Just dial 0800 DRINK MY BEER, and I'll send someone straight round to collect. Remember - recycling saves the environment too!!!

While I see your view on this... I bet you are going to shortchange yourself. Half the fun is seeing how well your beers progress as they age - well maybe not HALF the fun but a lot. I usually like to keep at least 12-18 beers per batch around for the long run. You don't want to brew a beer this spring only to find out that come December that batch has just started to taste great and you are on your last one.

In fact, I think sticking with 5 gallon batches is EXACTLY what you need to do to have the variety you mentioned.

I just moved to an apartment that is far smaller than my old place... so doing 2.5 gallons will make more sense for me at this point. Plus I will brew more often which has its upsides :)

I say go for it and use beersmith, or other calculators... it will be your friend.

I usually like to keep at least 12-18 beers per batch around for the long run.

question on this. Is it better to keep these extras
a) room temp (i.e. 76F or so)
b) fermenting temp (i.e. 65-70 for ales)
c) in the fridge

I've been brewing 3 gal batches exclusively and I like it for several reasons. Doing more and smaller batches allows for greater variety, recipe tweaking etc. Also it works good for me because my turkey fryer pot isn't big enough for 5 gal batches and I like to do full boils. I still use 5 gal fermenters and the extra room prevents blow offs. Bottling goes proportionally quicker as well.

I use Qbrew which is a free software for my calculations.

Too much beer?:confused: I've never heard of it, that's like too much money. If 5g of beer equates to 50 bottles then on a 30 day month it only equates to 1.6666666 beers a day. I know I drink at least two most week days and alot more on weekends. :tank:

I can't imagine spending all that time brewing to only yield 3 gallons. Heck i'm leaning the other way, towards 7-10 gallon batches

Half the fun is seeing how well your beers progress as they age

Maybe this is true if you do Belgians, stouts, etc.

but not if you primarily do Weisses like me.

Those are best drank young from what I understand.

c) in the fridge

You keep your room pretty hot.

Anything under 80 is probably fine, but I'd personally go with cellar temps if available (just find a cool spot). Fridge wouldn't hurt if you have extra space.

c) in the fridge
the cooler the better if you have fridge or cellar space. equally important is temp stability - for example, steady at 65 might actually be better than somewhere the temp fluctuates between 50 and 60.

After reading this thread, I've decided on setting up a new "excess beer collection service" Just dial 0800 DRINK MY BEER, and I'll send someone straight round to collect. Remember - recycling saves the environment too!!!

Yeah!
I propose myself to support the service on the Canadian side of the frontier.
Fast, efficient pickup and drinking service, Plus as a bonus, i will gladly return the rinsed out bottles after the job is done!

No worry, my services can handle big deliveries, i got friends who will gladly work for me :mug:

Latest posts

Back