5 gallons in a keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Z

Reaction score
Previously I've mashed in a cooler with a manifold. I'm going to try my keggle with a false bottom and I'm planning on doing a 5.5 gallon batch. My question about the "dead space" below the false bottom. I'll surely need to use more water for the mash because of the space below the false bottom. Are there any other concerns with this that I need to be aware of.

Not really. Although I typically do 10 gal batches now, I still sometimes do 5 gal batches w/ my sanke MLT that has a FB. You just need to add a little more strike water so that your mash isn't too thick.

Do you do 10 gal. batches in in a Sanke MLT? And how much is a little more strike water? I have a three tier sanke system and want to do 10 gal. batches, but I'm not sure it would fit. I use about 7 gal. H20 for sparge water so that would work. But in my brew pot I wonder. My hot break comes up to top at the start of my boil...

Sure 10 gal batches will fit. I think the largest grain bill I've had is ~ 35 lbs. That's getting it pretty full.

"A little more" depends on how much dead space you have below the sparge water. Measure it out, and then add that much more to whatever qt/lb ratio you want.

Back