5 gallon water jugs as fermenter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkocher13

Reaction score
I have a large quantity of plastic 5 gallon water jugs available. Has anybody had any experience using these as fermenters. They seem very similar to better bottles. Any thoughts???????

I would try measuring 5 gallons of liquid and put it in the water jug to see where the level is.

If you make 5 gallon batches, this is where your liquid will be when you put it in there.

Unfortunately, I think it will be a little too close to the top, and you will have more blowoff, since you have less head room.

Another possibility, is to make about 4.75 or 4.5 gallon batches, which leave you with more head room to work with.

I am going to run into the same issue, as I am going to use 5 gallon buckets, as they were free. I will probably make the batches 4.5 gallons of liquid!

There's a ton of threads on here about that topic...It's almost a weekly occurance. You can begin by looking down at the similar threads box below.

And if you need more you can search fro water jugs, 5 gallon bottles, even name brands like culligan for more info.

:mug:

Back