5 Gallon Water Jug as Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC_Brewer

Reaction score
I am starting to plan out all of the equipment I will need to get started and i was going to use Better Bottles as my fermentor but then I saw 5 gallon water jugs for sale at my local gas station. They are pretty much the exact same thing as a Better Bottle but only cost $4.95 and come filled with water. I was wondering if there is any reason not to use these.

Picture
http://www.tulpehockenwater.com/images/products/large_jug_big.jpg

Thanks For The Help

Do a quick search for "5 gallon water bottle" and you'll find many, many long threads on this subject.

The cliff notes version... Flip the bottle over. If it has a "1" in the triangle, then it's the same as a BB. If it has a 7, then it's best not used for brewing. They look the same, but are different kinds of plastic.

I have 2 water jugs that are #1 plastic that I use as secondaries, they are two small for a primary. You need to be careful some of the plastic water jugs are #7. Many people use them but they are not recommended for long term contact/storage. Sierra water bottles are #1 here, osarka so far are #7.

Back