5 gallon vs 10 gallon brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AwesomeSquad

Reaction score
Is it that much more difficult to do? I figure if I am making 5 gallons i might as well make 10, go big or go home. What would I need to do this? Would I just need a couple more ale pails?
Thanks.

Other than the increased amount of ingredients and water, the only thing you really need to worry about is your equipment and whether or not it can handle larger batches. Otherwise, as long as you have a mash tun and boil kettle big enough you can easily do a 10 gallon batch and just do 5 gallons each in separate buckets.

I brewed my first 10 gallon batch a couple weeks ago.
You mean I can make twice as much beer in the same amount of time?
"F" 5 gallon batches.

You can also use two different yeast strains in the two diff fermenters to be able to compare the difference. ;)

I've been wondering how much more time it really does take. I know it'll take a bit longer to heat water to temps, longer to drain the mash, siphon from kettle etc., but what about chilling? If I can chill 5 gals to pitching temps in say 20-25 minutes, how much longer should I expect with 10 gals?

I takes me another hour MAYBE to do a 10G batch over a 5G batch between bring water up to temp, drain mash tun, coming to boil, and draining twice as much through my CFC via gravity.

Back