5 gallon to one gallon boil time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbrewing32

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am converting a recipe from 5 gallons to 1 gallon. Is there any difference with mashing time and boiling time between the batch sizes?

The amount of final wort collected does not effect your boil time. The 60 minute boil is primarily about extracting bitterness from your first hop addition with some possible secondary effects such as caramelizing some of the sugars in your wort (a buddy of mine once let a batch boil for 2 hrs, don't ask why, but made an amazing brew by accident that was darker and sweeter than originally planned).

Also note that the volume of wort at the end of an hour is a lot less than you started with, so don't start with a gallon if you want to do a one gallon batch. You will lose a significant (10-20%) amount of volume through evaporation. There are some good online calculators that will help you estimate the amount of liquid you will lose over the boil, but also keep records for your self so you can learn how your specific brew set up behaves.

If you are doing small batches and have not already bought it you should check out the Brooklyn Brewshop's book. The specialize in small batch brewing and recipes.

I have a gallon batch to do and I believe a recipe I found online said 45 min boil. I have to check.
also, beer smith gave me the starting boil amount based on my boil kettle. It was definitely not 1 gallon at boil. You could, but you'd have to top off back to one gallon and that seems silly at that size of a batch.

Back