5 gallon recipes scaled down to mr beer fermenter ANY Programs that do it

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

rave808

Reaction score
I have some 5 gallon extract recipes and was wondering it there are any programs out there that if I put in ingredients for 5 gallon batch that then it will convert it down to a mr beer fermenter size batch?

lukeziegler

Reaction score
I am guessing Beersmith does this. I scale 5 gallon all grain recipes on Beersmith frequently. You can also do good ol fashion math. Divide the quantity of the ingredient by 5, multiply that number by 2 (or 3, not sure what the 'Mr. Beer' fermenter size is..) You're just figuring out how much per gallon for each ingredient and then multiplying to your desired gallons...

roastquake

Reaction score
You can do it on brewtoad.com, it's free. but, assuming you're doing 2 gallon batches, all you really need to do is multiply each ingredient by 0.4, or just do what lukeziegler said, you'll get the same number.

OP
R

rave808

Reaction score
Would the number still be 4 if I used 2.5 gallons as my batch size?

lukeziegler

Reaction score
It would be 0.5 for 2.5 gallons. At a 2.5 gallon batch your are just halving your ingredients. You probably still want to pitch the full yeast amount (or real close to it.)

roastquake

Reaction score
Aren't the mr. beer barrels made for 2 gallon batches? If the container holds 2.5 gallons, you definitely want to leave that half gallon as head-space

OP
R

rave808

Reaction score
You can get 2.5 gallons in them . I've split some muntons and coopers kits in them and did 2.5 gallon batches

OP
R

rave808

Reaction score
One last question what is formula for scaling a 5 gallon recipe down to 1 gallon?