5 gallon plastic water jug permeable to O2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forces

Reaction score
I have access to very inexpensive 5 gallon water jugs. The kind that you see in offices and such that are flipped over on top of a water dispenser. I assume these are "food grade" because we drink it's contents.

I know that people say not to use plastic secondaries because you may oxidize your beer/ wine/ mead, whatever. Better bottles offers plastic carboys who claim to be largely impermeable to oxygen.

Anyone know about using these plastic water bottles instead?

all plastic is oxygen permiable, just to different extents.

better bottles are PET plastic, which is somewhat less permiable than water jugs, which are normally HDPE.

also remember a plastic container that is rated to hold regular water, which is ph-neutral, may not be as safe to use for something acidic, alcoholic, etc... like beer. probably a very small risk, but my point is that you can not make the assumption that being OK for water definately means its OK for other chemicals as well.

Plenty of folks use them, but try to find a <1> or <2> recycle code on the bottom. You don't really want to use a <7> But if you can find <1> and <2> go ahead and use them.

There's a million threads on this topic.

Water jugs marked <7> (other) are quite typically polycarbonate. I believe polycarbonate is more O2 permissable than PET or HDPE. Also, some fear BPA but go figure...baby bottles are made of polycarbonate??? Not the best choice...but people do use them for short term fermenting.

Water jugs marked <7> (other) are quite typically polycarbonate. I believe polycarbonate is more O2 permissable than PET or HDPE. Also, some fear BPA but go figure...baby bottles are made of polycarbonate??? Not the best choice...but people do use them for short term fermenting.

The ones I have at my disposal are <7>, damn. What's the deal with polycarbonate that makes them undesirable? Other than them being more permiable to O2, I mean. Seems like that wouldn't really be a big deal for primary.

I've heard of people open-fermenting beer, though I was planning on using this thing for long term secondary.

There's a million threads on this topic.

Edit: I just did a search.... its true, there are at least a million threads on this. Don't know why I didn't think to search it before!

The LAST time I fermented with glass the bottom fell out of the carboy, on the kitchen countertop, beer everywhere... got to the outlet behind the fridge, loud bang awoke me at 2:00am. Had to replace the frig., not to mention the batch I lost.

I have absolutely no clue as to why the glass bottom fell out, clear line break about 1/2" from the bottom. Most likely defective glass (??)

I've since brewed many great ales with the blue plastic carboys. Easy to clean. Easy to handle. Yeast is happy. Most important, the Beer is good!

Back