5 gallon Igloo cooler to HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajs349

Reaction score
Since upgrading to a larger MLT I have a 5 gallon Igloo cooler sitting in the garage without a purpose. I'd like to make a HLT but I had a few questions.

I was planning on heating it with a heating element should I be looking for a "screw in" type like these?

Could I then wire it into a RANCO controller and finally a wall outlet?

Sounds like you have the right plan. My only concern would be the amount of heat it puts out. Because you're using a plastic cooler, I would be worried about it melting if you place the element within a few inches of the cooler walls. It's been done before though, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Yes, and yes. I did this with my old 10 gallon MLT. It's now a 1440W HLT. I don't see the need to use a temperature controller as the temp doesn't rise all that quickly. Just give it a stir and check the temp periodically and turn it off (unplug it) when you're at your target temperature. You can always drop it down a few degrees by adding some cool water if necessary. I used the stainless steel lock nut from Bargain Fittings with their high-temp o-ring and it doesn't leak. Very happy with this setup.

Yes an electric element will power a cooler HLT nicely...rather than using the ranco, you could put it on a timer...with a bit of trial and error, you will be close or over strike temps and can temper w/ a few ice cubes or cold water.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'm going to go out this weekend and see if I could find one at Lowes or Home Depot. If everything works as planned it should be an inexpensive HLT (since I already have the cooler and valve).

what size hardware did you use to do this? Is there some sort of "spacer" you can use to keep the heatstick away from the bottom of the HLT?

Back