5 Gallon Home depot cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyace00

Reaction score
Had a quick question, I just saw on homebrew finds this was on sale for 19.99. My question is, is this big enough to do an all grain 5 gallon batch? I do extracts now and felt this was a good value and way for me to get into all grains.

Spend the extra $17 for the 10 gal, you seriously will not regret it. I use a 70 qt (17.5 gallon) Coleman rectangular cooler with a SS braid manifold to get average 75% efficiency. It only cost $37 on amazon.

It will work, but it depends on if you want to ever do big beers. I use a 5 Gallon Coleman MAXCold water cooler and it works great for me, but I never really do beers bigger than 1.06. Hardly loses any temp since there is little headspace.

I agree with Brulo. I have a 5 gallon and you can't really do any "big beers" in it. The most I've been able to fit was like 14lbs of grain in it. I do mostly 11-12 lb grain bills and it works fine.

I used a 5 gallon igloo with a brewers edge kettle valve and bazooka screen and it was great! 12 lb grain bills no problem! The biggest downfall is having to batch sparge like 4 times.... if you fly sparge it will be just fine. However with that said.... i now have a 10 gallon rubbermaid from the depot.

FWIW - I almost got the 5 gallon HD cooler but at the last minute decided to get the 10 gallon instead and have never once regretted it.

I now own both. I know what I'm going to get at the end with 12ish lbs in the 5 gallon so why change what works I use the 10 gallon for big beers and 10 gallon batches. I also have the ability to use the 5 gallon as an hlt if I decide to start fly sparing. Add a second infusion to mash out and use the 5 gallons to sparge

I started with the 5 gallon, 20 dollar cooler. It works for most beers. But I really want to do an all grain barley wine, and it won't even hold enough grain. A malty stout is pushing it's limits. I haven't yet, but it is one of my next brewing investments, I am going to bite the bullet and get the Igloo, for the superior insulation. I wasn't patient when I wanted my first mash tun, but I am not cutting corners the second time around. I do plan on using for a long time so I might as well do it right. Just my opinion, but based on personal experience. The bottom line is, you have to decide what will work for you.

On the other hand, the idea of using the 5 gallon as HLT to sparge, keeps it a viable part of my setup. So, its still a good investment. Thanks Gartywood. I am starting to like the idea of having both!

I own a 5g round, and for biab 5 g batches, its great. I also own a 10g round, and a 13g rect, and I still use the 5 g round. For 20 bucks, you'll use it, then you'll upgrade, and you'll still find yourself using it. The simplicity of the 5g round for biab batches, at only 20 bucks makes it a no brainer. Sure, you'll want more room, or wanna make bigger beers, but to bang out 5g of mild, or blonde, that cooler is perfect

Get it and start out all grain with it.
I use the same cooler, and just mashed 13.25# of grain in it last weekend with no problems.
Fly sparge if you can, works great on this set up.

The 5 gallon is plenty for every day drinking batches of home brew.

I use a 5 gallon home depot cooler, so far my first two BIAB all grain batches in it have worked great, 12.5lbs was the most I've put in there so far but I could probably get another pound if I needed to. Its a great starter size. If I find a good deal on a 10 gallon or get it for free (like I did with the 5 gallon) then the 5 gallon cooler gets to be my HLT. So even if you start with the 5 gallon cooler its not like you'll ever stop getting any use out of it even if you get a bigger one later.

I bought a 10gal first and ended up buying a 5gal as well. It seems the 5gal holds temp better when it's full vs a half full 10gal.

I'd vote for the 10 gallon cooler for your batch size, make a syrofoam circle to insert (wrapped in plastic wrap or inside a food grade bag) to help with heat loss.

I use a 5 gallon cooler for 3.5 gallon end-of-boil batches. Mashed a 1.070 OG beer last night and the cooler was at it's capacity with 9# of grain with tipping to get the most wort out. Plan to try 13# of grain for a high gravity Begian but will need to skip tipping or tip later in the drain to get the last wort out.

I use it and love it. I make 5 gallon average gravity beers but if I want something bigger I just make a smaller volume of it, like 3 gallons. This thing does everything I need it to. I am also not entirely opposed to adding dme in the boil to raise the gravity.

Spend the extra bucks and get the 10g. You will need it.

I haven't "needed" on in 5 years of all grain brewing.

Rarely have I ever had a grain bill that exceeded 13 pounds of grain that my 5 gallon cooler holds at a standard water to grain ratio we use.

I get beat up for daring to post this, SCANDELOUS idea, but I've used my 5 gallon cooler for over 5 years, on 5 gallon all grain batches and have never had a problem. At 1.25 it actually holds nearly 13 pounds of grain. Since most of my grainbills run between 10 and 14 pounds, I have no problem. for 14 pounds I just use about a 1.15 quarts/pound mash dillution. Or for 15pounds I go with a 1 quart/gallon.

14 pounds of 2-row in a 5 gallon batch gives you a 1.076 OG so it's not a small beer.

I rarely need a larger mash tun. If I'm making a bigger beer I'm often doing a 2.5 gallon batch instead of a 5 gallon one and those 14 pounds would then make a beer with an og of 1.151..... If I do want to make a 5 gallon batch of a big beer, or a larger than 5 gallon batch, I have a TON of homebrewing buddies, with all sorts of systems and sizes of mash tuns, and they'd let me use their geer. and if it's a barleywine or something like that, we're all brewing together then anyway, or hanging out.

I really don't have the space for a 10 gallon cooler, and like I said, in 5 years of using my 5 I've never had the need to go with a bigger one for more than a 1 shot deal. I maybe brew 1 huge beer a year anyway.

Other folks have other opinions, but in truth, you can make a lot of beer in a 5 gallon cooler.

If you wanna be realistic and practical and it not just be about the biggest toys, you need to ask yourself a couple of questions.

1) Am I ever going to brew larger than 5 gallon batches?
2) Are the majority if not all of my batches going to have an og higher than 1.076 (14 pounds of grain?)
3) Do I have the money or the storage space for a larger one?

It really comes down to those questions. In my case all three of those were no.

You could also add a fourth question- If I need to brew bigger once in awhile can I lay my hands on a bigger cooler. My Answer to that was yes.

So to me, a larger cooler was overkill, in light of living in a loft and not having much storage, nor having a realistic need for a larger one.

Ymmv, but it's funny how amped up some folks get when I say this....

I haven't "needed" on in 5 years of all grain brewing.

Rarely have I ever had a grain bill that exceeded 13 pounds of grain that my 5 gallon cooler holds at a standard water to grain ratio we use.

I get beat up for daring to post this, SCANDELOUS idea, but I've used my 5 gallon cooler for over 5 years, on 5 gallon all grain batches and have never had a problem. At 1.25 it actually holds nearly 13 pounds of grain. Since most of my grainbills run between 10 and 14 pounds, I have no problem. for 14 pounds I just use about a 1.15 quarts/pound mash dillution. Or for 15pounds I go with a 1 quart/gallon.

14 pounds of 2-row in a 5 gallon batch gives you a 1.076 OG so it's not a small beer.

I rarely need a larger mash tun. If I'm making a bigger beer I'm often doing a 2.5 gallon batch instead of a 5 gallon one and those 14 pounds would then make a beer with an og of 1.151..... If I do want to make a 5 gallon batch of a big beer, or a larger than 5 gallon batch, I have a TON of homebrewing buddies, with all sorts of systems and sizes of mash tuns, and they'd let me use their geer. and if it's a barleywine or something like that, we're all brewing together then anyway, or hanging out.

I really don't have the space for a 10 gallon cooler, and like I said, in 5 years of using my 5 I've never had the need to go with a bigger one for more than a 1 shot deal. I maybe brew 1 huge beer a year anyway.

Other folks have other opinions, but in truth, you can make a lot of beer in a 5 gallon cooler.

If you wanna be realistic and practical and it not just be about the biggest toys, you need to ask yourself a couple of questions.

1) Am I ever going to brew larger than 5 gallon batches?
2) Are the majority if not all of my batches going to have an og higher than 1.076 (14 pounds of grain?)
3) Do I have the money or the storage space for a larger one?

It really comes down to those questions. In my case all three of those were no.

You could also add a fourth question- If I need to brew bigger once in awhile can I lay my hands on a bigger cooler. My Answer to that was yes.

So to me, a larger cooler was overkill, in light of living in a loft and not having much storage, nor having a realistic need for a larger one.

Ymmv, but it's funny how amped up some folks get when I say this....

Not scandalous, and I doubt anyone will get amped up (except you). Why say those things? It seems you are trying to start something.

Anyway, what I hear you saying is that with a 5g cooler you are limited to -
  • 5g batches
  • gravities under 1.075
- and you need to borrow equipment from someone else to exceed those limits.

I'm suggesting that for someone getting a cooler, they spend the extra 10 bucks (or whatever it is) and not have those limitations.

Anyway, what I hear you saying is that with a 5g cooler you are limited to -
  • 5g batches
  • gravities under 1.075
- and you need to borrow equipment from someone else to exceed those limits.

And to all this...in 5 years I've never needed to brew larger than 5 gallon batches.

2) 99.999999% of my beers have been under 1.075 and therefore I've never been limited to the size of the cooler.

And I'm sure, many folks would say the same with their beers.

3) If I did, which may has been 1 time a year or even less I've needed larger. In fact, since I've brewed my Barleywine 3 years ago...I haven't brewed anything larger than 1.075..

Seriously, why is it so hard to get that NOT everyone needs a big cooler without it feeling like my answer is treading on anyone else's.

By Posting the way you did, YOU make it seem like a liability. Why can't it be looked at like, "Hey, some folks like a 10 gallon, some folks like a 5 gallon...but ALL can make great beer with whatever tools they choose to?

Plenty of folks use them like those in THIS thread.....

*shrug*

It's just another way of looking at things......

Right, not everyone needs a big cooler. For an extra $10-$20, why not? (unless there are space constraints as you pointed out).

5g is a liability if the OP ever wants to brew a 5g batch of a high-gravity beer. If that limitation doesn't affect him, great, get the 5g and save the $.

revvy said:
seriously, why is it so hard to get that not everyone needs a big cooler without it feeling like my answer is treading on anyone else's.

http___farm2.staticflickr.com_1139_3172600731_4b0d5a485d_z.jpg

Right, not everyone needs a big cooler. For an extra $10-$20, why not? (unless there are space constraints as you pointed out).

Maybe the OP can't afford an additional 10 or 20 bucks at this time. He's clearly asking this for a reason. Maybe he'd rather use that additional 10 or 20 bucks for grain or something else he needs to enjoy this hobby.

And honestly I've yet to see a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon cooler side by side in a big box store (and I do look all the time) where the price was only 10-20 bucks difference as you say...More like 30-50 bucks difference between the 2 prices.

His question was, can you use a 5 gallon cooler in all grain brewing. And the answer is YES....If the conditions/situations that I outlined in my initial post is understood, and fits the brewers bill. I brew heavily, probably heavier than most. And YET, I still haven't needed to upgrade.

I have a 10 gallon HD cooler and a friend has the 5 gallon version. The 5 gallon cooler seems to hold the heat a little better on similar size batches. I'm guessing it is because there is less air space. We both are happy with our coolers/mash tuns and we both brew a lot. Both sizes make great home brew.

My suggestion is to list the pros and cons of each size and see which list better suites your needs the best.

When I fiirst started, I had no intention on doiing 10 g batches. But as the family expanded, and I had less time for brewing, I figured i'.d brew more beer when I do brew. A 5 gallon round will undoubtedly work for 5 gallon batches. But if you want to do an occasional 10 gallon batch, the bigger cooler would be beneficial. And of course, with the bigger cooler, you can still do 5 gallon batches.

I got the 5 gallon rubbermaid, in my country the 5 gal rubbermaid costs $40 but the 10 Gal Igloo (could not get the 10 gal rubbermaid) costs $105. revvy you convinced me to get the 5 gallon one and in case I need the larger one I have a couple of square coolers I can convert/unconvert as mash tun. Great points revvy.

Back