5 gallon extract to 10 gallon extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robthefrog

Reaction score
I found a recipe I'm going to stick with for a while. I recently purchased a 15 gallon brew pot. Man is it huge. I'm assuming I can double all of the ingredients and also how much water to boil with (for a partial boil). My question is what if I want to do a full boil now since I can? Here's the strategy I have in mind. Please correct any incorrect assumptions I make. And as always thanks so much for your help!

I'm going to have 11 gallons of liquid total including the LME or DME before I boil. I'm going to use the same amount of hops but perhaps scaled back to use about 90% of what the recipe would call for under the assumption that having more water to boil with will increase hop efficiency. All other ingredients including the whirlflock tablet, the extract liquid, and the steeping grains will all be doubled.

I'm assuming there will be about a gallon of boil off, that's why I think it should be 11 gallons total. Any thoughts?

Also do you think the Bayou Classic SQ14 burner I have will be hot enough to boil this amount of liquid? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks so much for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have halved 5 gallon batches before by just cutting everything in half. Hops, grains, DME/LME, etc. And come out the same as a full 5. I'd suppose you'd keep everything double.

Back