5 gallon buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's going to be different depending on the brand. Many buckets have small print someplace on it that will state it.

My lowes leaktite that I use for a bottling bucket says where it is on the bucket.

61GTWpzk9ML._SL500_AA280_.gif

I believe it is the second "ring" from the top on it.

It's the line where the water stops after you've added a quart of water from a measuring cup, 20 times.

Do this on a brew day and you can use the water for the wort.

I'd recommend you measure yourself to be completely accurate. Just use a 1 gallon or half gallon container. Fill pail with 1 gallon increments and mark the bucket accordingly with a sharpie or masking tape. Otherwise there can be a large difference between pails.

Yeah, thanks.. Mines not standard then. Seeing as how it's not labeled.

Yeah, thanks.. Mines not standard then. Seeing as how it's not labeled.

Flip it over and look on the bottom and see if it says something in raised letters in the plastic...If not you are going to have to employ the old, add a gallon at a time and mark it method.

Use a sharpie.

Ok, it turns out this must be some rip off.. now I have a problem. The second ring from the top is 5 gal. I need 33% headspace as I am about to pitch Wyeast 3068 for a hefe. Would I be better off splitting this batch between 2 buckets at 2.5 gal each? If so, how do I do this? Pitch the yeast and wait for fermentation then split? I only have 1 pack of yeast

Ok, it turns out this must be some rip off.. now I have a problem. The second ring from the top is 5 gal. I need 33% headspace as I am about to pitch Wyeast 3068 for a hefe. Would I be better off splitting this batch between 2 buckets at 2.5 gal each? If so, how do I do this? Pitch the yeast and wait for fermentation then split? I only have 1 pack of yeast

Dig in the couch for $5 in change.

Go to Lowes and buy a 7 Gallon bucket. make sure it's HDPE or recycle code 2.

****! Not cool! I am running to lowes with 13 minutes left on my boil.. can I just let it cool slowly while Im away instead of rapid chill?

No. Im gonna pour it in the 5 gal and just transfer and pitch when I return

****! Not cool! I am running to lowes with 13 minutes left on my boil.. can I just let it cool slowly while Im away instead of rapid chill?

Yes. Wait for boil to finish. Cool wort to betweeen 150 and 160. Throw a lid on and go to Lowes for a bucket. Come back and rapid chill to pitch temp.

160 is the thereshold for DMS production. If thios is an extract brew, then the pre-chill down step is not as necessary.

Ok, back to splitting it up, as myself, home depot, and lowes only have 5 gallon buckets.. Advice?

Stick a blowoff tube on it instead of panicking.

This too. Surely your Lowes has toob.

Or, leave the lid loose on the bucket and let the thing spill over. Not the end of the world and beats mopping the ceiling. Might want to have thios one in the tub for the next day or two tho'.

Thanks Rev. I've got the blowoff tube set up, I was just upset about possibly losing so much of my sweet beer through the tube. I'm only going to have 1 1/2" of head space.

Back