5 gallon boil with top up vs 6 gallon boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
just got a turkey fryer with a 7.5 gallon pot. i have an 8 gallon one as well i could use. just curious what would be better a 5 gallon boil that is topped off vs a 6 gallon boil with no top off? do those drops that prevent boilovers work well? i don't want to buy another pot as this one fits perfectly on the fryer and has a whole for the thermometer. also the turkey fryer burner came inside the pot slightly warping it out of shape. is there an easy way to fix the lip of the pot that is slighlty out of shape?

I top off all the time. Got tired of brewing outside so went to stovetop. I went from a 40 quart to a 22 quart stock pot. After the boil I top off from about 20 quarts to 22 before chilling.

Managing a boil is a learned skill. Topping off the pot as well as fermcap will help to avoid boilovers. For the first few times, keep an eye on your thermometer, As you approach 205-210 go easy on the heat and be ready to turn it down, pour in a dash of cold water or a spray bottle w/ water will all help. Don't try and approach and achieve boil w/ your burner running full on! Being attentive is the key, you can boilover almost any size pot w/ enough heat and lack of attention.

The "drops that prevent boilovers" work every well for me. I just started using them 2 batches ago, and I am amazed, plain and simple. One little squirt and no boil over. But be warned, you still need to allow some head space for when you stir it. I have never done a full boil as I use a five gallon pot, but if I had the means, I would choose to due the full boil, if for nothing else, to help with the hop utilization.

So if I used the 7.5 gallon pot that came with the turkey fryer with some of those drops then it wouldn't boil over? I don't want to use my bigger pot since it's larger than the base of the turkey fryer

nothing wrong with your pot being larger than the base of your fryer, I just bought a 60qt(15gal) pot from home depot for $40.00 its much larger than my fryer, but that just means my flame isn't going to be licking up the sides of my pot.

-=Jason=-

good deal. might have to get me one of them. you think i would spend more in the long run on drops than a new pot?

Back