5 gallon boil to 2.5 gallon boil recipe conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balzern

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am pretty sure I made these recipes assuming a 5 gallon boil when I am going to do a 2.5 gallon boil then top off the fermenter to 5 gallons with cold water. I know, I know it was a careless mistake but I am brewing soon, have all the ingredients and am kinda freaking out . I was wondering if you guys could look at this and help me adjust my numbers (if I need to).

The first recipe is a Robust Porter:

(Steeping Grains)
12 oz Simpsons Dark Crystal
5 oz Simpsons Black
5 oz Simpsons Chocolate

7# Light DME
1.75 oz Progress (60 min)
3 oz East Kent (10 min)

The Second Recipe is a Dunkelweizen:

2# Munich
6 oz Chocolate Rye
4 oz Carafa III

6# Wheat LME

1 oz Hallertauer (60 min)

Thank you so much, I appreciate it.

in beersmith it says that the Porter will have an est. Original Gravity of 1.062 est FG of 1.019....28.7 IBU and 30.7 SRM

The Dunkelweizen 1.046 OG - 1.011 FG ....21.2 SRM ...11.4 IBU

I entered the Batch size for each as 5 gallons and the boil size as 2.5 is this right?...I was a bit confused on how to enter how long I plan on boiling my extracts (60 minutes for both recipes)...actually I didn't really have to change my recipes much aside from adjusting the carafa III in the dunkelweizen to .15 lbs. Did I do this correctly?

AFAIK, you will get less hop utilization with a partial boil but it shouldn't affect your extracts. [As long as you don't scorch things]

Did you mean to half the carafa? 0.15 lbs does not equal 4 oz, 0.25 lbs equals 4 oz.

I don't use beersmith so can't speak to that.

Back