5 gal mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigbrew

Reaction score
Does any one know how much grain you can mash in a 5 gal. round cooler? I have not gone to all grain yet but I already have a 5 gal cooler sitting around, and was looking at turning it in to a mash tun.

If you use a 1.25 qt/1 lb of grain ratio for the mash and a 2 qt/1 lb of grain for the sparge (and fly sparge), you could mash 8.5 lbs of grain.

That would be a ~1.040 OG beer @ 70% efficiency for a 5.5 gallon batch.
That would be a ~1.043 OG beer @ 75% efficiency for a 5.5 gallon batch.
That would be a ~1.045 OG beer @ 80% efficiency for a 5.5 gallon batch.

If you need to make a bigger beer, you could add Malt Extract to make up the difference.

12-13 lbs of grain

Check the "mash tun volume calculator" on this page:
Håndbryg.dk

I've done up to 10.5 lbs so far in my 5gal round Igloo. Also have to consider your sparging methods. If you want to have a mash-out step you will have to have extra head space to add additional heated water for the mash-out. If you batch sparge you should be able to get the max 12-13lbs into the cooler.

10 pounds, easy.

12 pounds is more of a challenge.

14 pounds if you are a masochist (it has been done).

:)

I've done 13# no trouble BUT no wheat or oatmeal or other particulate which could cause a stuck sparge (I've also done 10 pounds with wheat that did get stuck!) - use a SS braid and Fly sparge
{yeah that's right I fly sparge with a SS braid - wanna make something of it??}

Back