5 carboys going

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pghhopgrower

Reaction score
I have 5 carboys going with 5 different recipes in them, because I got excited when I first started and went a little over board but that's okay. I bottled one that I started about 2 months ago. It was very dry almost like a dry white wine but was still drinkable, it was also just bare bones 5 gal. Cider, champ yeast, only a pound of corn sugar that was it. Drinkable but not the best.

I bottled a second yesterday, but it had quite a vinegar-y scent, which was strange to me because there was a lot more sugars in the one to sweeten it. So enforce bottling I added apple concentrate and xylo sweet to sweeten it up, and sugar to sparkle it. Any suggestions on how to keep that vinegary taste out of the next one? Should I sit it longer? Or go through a second fermentation?

you packed the cider with sugar (concentrate + priming sugar) and then bottled it? i would be less worried about taste and more worried about skin and eyes, and their pending exposure to high velocity glass shards

Ha ****, good thing I asked a question then. It I opened the bottles and dumped them back in to ferment would I be able to save the batch?

you have a few options as i see it. depending on the gravity, you could leave them in the bottles, select a deity from the various approved lists, purchase appropriate incense, and start hoping they don't blow. but if you sweetened to 1.015 or something then you have no chance there. you can start opening them after a few days, and pasteurize them when they reach an appropriate carb level. or you can pour them back in, let it ferment out, and bottle again; messy and potentially unsanitary, but maybe the renewed fermentation will consume all of the oxygen you introduce from faffing around with it

I just ended up dumping I rather save my money in bottles, then seeing if they explode, of risk getting sick in re-racking. But any suggestion for my next attempt to get rid of the vinegary smell or taste?

I probably will if the next one turns out the same, I'll have to start doing a lot of cooking. But any suggestions so it doesn't happen?

Back