5.5 gal recipe in a 6 gal carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

By-Tor

Reaction score
FG 1.016, should I just set this up with a blow off from the get go,or will there be enough head space?

No idea what your OG is, so the FG by it's self is a bit irrelevant. Doesn't matter, I always recommend you use a blow off for the first 3 days of fermentation.

You never know.

I don't use a blow-off tube in a similar situation, because I haven't had an overflowing batch in a long time. If you are prone to them, or have any concern at all use the blow-off tube, you can always swap it later.

I usually know which of my recipes are going to need a blow off and which aren't, but I'm still surprised from time to time. I just recommend it for newer brewers who haven't done dozens of batches to learn what may or may not ferment violently.

It's not 100% necessary, you might still get away with an airlock. It's just my advice.

You can just leave it on there for the entire length of time your beer is in primary if you like. I only switch back to an airlock because I like the bubbling noise. If you do switch back to an airlock, let it sit with the blowoff for about three days of active fermentation. Start that timer when the blowoff container starts bubbling.

You can just leave it on there for the entire length of time your beer is in primary if you like. I only switch back to an airlock because I like the bubbling noise. If you do switch back to an airlock, let it sit with the blowoff for about three days of active fermentation. Start that timer when the blowoff container starts bubbling.

Thank you sir.

I do 5.25-5.5 in 6 gallon BBs using foam control drops.

Definitely use a blowoff if you don't have foam control drops.
DSC01667.JPG

Back