5.2 ph stabilizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
Anyone ever use the 5.2 PH stabilizer by five star? I was looking in to it and was not sure exactly how you use it. I am brewing a 5.5 gallon all grain batch. WHat woulp I add to the water? I am using 9.3 gallons of water total for a 6.29 gal boil volume.:mug:

The instructions say add 1 tbl per 5 gallons LEAVING the kettle. I put the powder in with my crushed grain. That way, I know it will mix in evenly.

A few questions:

Why do you think you need to use it?

Do you have a water report?

Have you made water ion adjustments to your brewing water?

The pH issue is only part of the process. Unless you have some really off the wall brewing water it can probably be adjusted with some additions of common brewing salts like calcium sulphate, calcium carbonate and calcium chloride. That insures you have enough of the required ions, especially calcium, in your mash. Once these are balanced for the beer style the mash pH will fall into place. :mug:

I have all the other stuff like gysum, calcium carbonate and all that stuff but from what I understand you dont need to worry about all that stuff when you use the stabilizer. I am just tryin to make the process easy as possible.

i use the stuff also. Add it to the water and your good to go. keeps ph in range

hey scinerd3000 when you add to your water do you add 1 tblspn even if you use 9 gallons total water for a 5 gal. batch?

For a 5 gallon batch just add 1 tablespoon to the mash water. It readily dissolves and since it is a buffer it achieves pH 5.2. This stuff is great and has become a staple in my routine. Before I used it my efficiency was inconsistent. With it I consistently achieve above 80% (Corona mill).

For a 5 gallon batch just add 1 tablespoon to the mash water. It readily dissolves and since it is a buffer it achieves pH 5.2. This stuff is great and has become a staple in my routine. Before I used it my efficiency was inconsistent. With it I consistently achieve above 80% (Corona mill).

I added it to my mash AND my sparge water. I figured the sparge water could change the pH of the mash while sparging, possibly extracting tannins.

I have all the other stuff like gysum, calcium carbonate and all that stuff but from what I understand you dont need to worry about all that stuff when you use the stabilizer. I am just tryin to make the process easy as possible.

I was trying to make the point that simply forcing the pH of the mash into the comfort zone with a buffering agent does not mean that you have done everything necessary for the beer. Yes, the product will regulate the pH, however, if your mash is deficient in calcium or you don't have any sulphate content in a hoppy ale the beer isn't going to reach its' potential. :mug:

I was trying to make the point that simply forcing the pH of the mash into the comfort zone with a buffering agent does not mean that you have done everything necessary for the beer. Yes, the product will regulate the pH, however, if your mash is deficient in calcium or you don't have any sulphate content in a hoppy ale the beer isn't going to reach its' potential. :mug:

+1

Our water here in a little funky in its minerals (like a bicarb level of 400ppm and a high sodium with low Ca and Mg) So I end up using 2/3 RO water and 1/3 tap. I add a little gypsum to bring the Ca and SO4 up a bit and a little 5.2 in the mash (especially with lighter beer) since even diluted I have a high bicarb level...

For me it works great, but you have to manage your process based on your water. Good luck!:mug:

i asked the gut at my LHBS if that would be an issue and he said his understanding was, and according to the instuctions, you dont need the other stuff and still get ultimate utilization from hops and grain.

i asked the gut at my LHBS if that would be an issue and he said his understanding was, and according to the instuctions, you dont need the other stuff and still get ultimate utilization from hops and grain.

Just my opinion but I believe your LHBS guy is underinformed. Beer is pretty resilient so it will probably be fine.

hey scinerd3000 when you add to your water do you add 1 tblspn even if you use 9 gallons total water for a 5 gal. batch?
i usually add 2. i eyeball it and if i use too much then it just ends up being a waste of 5.2....the stuff is pricy so i tend to be carful

how do you do test for you bicarbs and calcium etc.?

Check the water report for your area, it is public information so if you call whoever you get your water from or check their website, they should be able to give it to you.

is there any downside to using the stabilizer? Lets say I was focusing on both pH control and then the flavor profile with Calcium Sulfate and Calcium Chloride, would focusing on these issues independently possible lead to an overuse of salts and/or minerals? I'm under the impression that 5.2 doesnt add any flavor so why not just use it freely to buffer the pH issue within the right range?

is there any downside to using the stabilizer? Lets say I was focusing on both pH control and then the flavor profile with Calcium Sulfate and Calcium Chloride, would focusing on these issues independently possible lead to an overuse of salts and/or minerals? I'm under the impression that 5.2 doesnt add any flavor so why not just use it freely to buffer the pH issue within the right range?

Yes, it can affect the flavor because you are adding sodium phosphates. It can make your beer salty if you add too much.

Everybody here should search the Brew Science forum for more information about the 5.2 product. The consensus among most homebrewers who really look into it using a real scientific process is that the product does not work. It is incapable of buffering mash liquor in the amounts that are indicated for use. That is a basic fact of Chemistry. Check it out, people have done some very detailed investigations on this product. There is also a lot of good information on this topic in the All Grain and Partial Mash forum.

I bought it before my first all grain batch and then after reading, it turns out it's not magical

Same here - have a full tub of the stuff that my uninformed LHBS pushed on me when I mentioned water/PH problems. I'm saving it for some reason...

I agree with hughbrooks. I use walmart spring water and 5.2 to make things easier! Yes I know I can get this and that report on the water but really? Also don't tell me I don't need something because I know bottled water isn't perfect. My beer has never been salty or not what I imagined the style to be. Could it be better? Always most beers can but I'm not brewing for prizes yet so a craft beer that tasted better than store bought sits well with me! 5.2 saves me time and money on PH strips, calculating, and all the chemicals you have to add to adjust your PH up or down.

You're kidding yourself if you think that 5.2 is the solution to good brewing. If you're brewing lighter colored beers using the walmart spring water, try brewing without the 5.2 and you should taste an immediate improvement. 5.2 does not improve beer or brewing.

Back