5/16 gas line to 1/4 barb fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcapstudios

Reaction score
I got a 1/4" cross fitting to split my gas line to 3 kegs. I've got the original keg with MFL Ball lock disconnects on the 5/16 line connected to the regulator. However, my new hardware are two 1/4" barbed disconnects and 1/4" line with the 1/4" fitting. I've got plumbers lube and a bunch of worm gear clamps.

Can I clamp the crap out of the 5/16 line and make it work with the smaller 1/4 fittings or do I need to go back to the drawing board?

Anyone else have experience with this one?

I have not had this problem however I would still try it out. The real problem would be leaks and if you keep your eyes on it (leak check everything) I would have to say you could make it work.

Hose is cheap.... 1/4 hose would make me rest easier personally.

Hose is cheap.... 1/4 hose would make me rest easier personally.

Me too. But the problem starts with the 5/16 thick red line coming off the regulator (original equipment on the kegerator). I don't think I could hook up 1/4 hose to the regulator fitting.

wrap something around the barb then clamp on it.
I wrapped a bunch of teflon around mine..No leaks

I had this same problem when I first got my keg. 5/16th gas hose to a 1/4 disconnect. I clamped the hell out of it and it fit on the 1/4 inch. It sealed pretty tight but looked a bit loose, so I came across a 5/16th to 1/4 splicer and used that with no problems.

Teflon sounds like an idea, If you clamp it down hard enough should do the trick.

I've got the smaller barbs on some of my gas tubing. Just clamped them down real tight and haven't had any issues.

Why not just buy a reducer 5/16" to 1/4". I have 5/16 and 1/4 both coming off my regulators. Just need the correct fittings.

Otherwise just clamp it and check for leaks. I do have one 5/16 on a 1/4 bard, no issues.

Okay, I wrapped teflon tape around the 1/4 to 5/16 connections on the cross, clamped it down tight and fired up the gas. We'll see how it holds. No sounds of leakage that I could tell. Let's hope I have a full tank in the morning. Thanks for the advice.

I agree...use the smaller ID hose and stick the end in boiling water just prior to shoving it on the larger barb. It'll go on there.

And submerse the (pressurized) connections in a bucket of water and look for bubbles to leak check them.

That's what I have on my setup- 3/16 line on 1/4 barbs (no clamps). Works great!

Back