4th Batch Unbelievable!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trottier80

Reaction score
So I started homebrewing in January. My 1st 3 batches (all extract) were 1) hefeweizen 2) oatmeal stout and 3) pale ale. I was happy with all 3 batches, but none of them come close to touching my 4th batch (our 4th batch, as I now brew with my buddy) which is a sweet porter (also extract). I am not sure what we did so different but I have some ideas. This 4th kit was the first that i bought from a local homebrew store that I"ve heard great things about. I also think I steeped the grains longer than the other batches (30 minutes). Lastly, I left in the primary for 3 weeks. The other batches, neither were in more than 2 weeks tops. This batch of porter reminds me of Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. The flavor is just unbelievable and I couldn't imagine making such a good beer from an extract. It is definitely possible. And a bonus is that I tried it last night, and it had only been 10 days bottled so it should be even better when i crack the next one in another 10 days. I couldn't wait to try it, so i popped it in the fridge for 1 1/2 hours and BAMMM, it was UNBELIEVABLE!! I am pumped. I thought my other 3 batches were good, but i think i was just satisfied they were drinkable. I am glad I finally found out what is really possible, even doing extract batches. I can't wait to start batch #5.

Austin's homebrew for the oatmeat stout. It didn't come out very dark at all. I'm not sure why. I used a LHBS for the hefeweizen. I used a different LHBS for the famous porter. I think I will be going back to that LHBS.

Back