4mm EVA onto picnic tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moreb33rplz

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea to make this tubing fit a picnic tap (i think is 1/4 barb)? I know I can just buy different tubing but I already have a roll of the 4mm. I tried warming the tubing and sliding it on but no joy.

Anyone have an idea to make this tubing fit a picnic tap (i think is 1/4 barb)? I know I can just buy different tubing but I already have a roll of the 4mm. I tried warming the tubing and sliding it on but no joy.

It doesn't fit...i tried everything i could think of and that small tubing ain't getting around the picnic tap...sorry brew brother!

A swaging tool and just the right amount of heat from a heat gun will get you there. The right amount of heat is the tricky part... too cool and it’s not cooperating and too hot and it’s a soft melted mess.
DF6B6526-C304-40DF-87CF-F96ABA814051.jpeg

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cobra-6-In-1-3-16-in-to-5-8-in-Removal-Tool/1000063169

Maybe. Note the "with 1/4" Duotight compatible barb" in the description.

If that picnic tap has a legit 1/4" barb, that swaging tool or something similar along with a hot air gun or even a hair dryer will get 4mm ID over it...

Cheers!

I used a short length of 5mm ID that I was able to get on the picnic tap with some very hot water and a nail set to stretch it out. I ran that into a valve and then ran my 4mm ID out the other side. The 4mm and 5mm ID have the same OD. Plus now I can shut off the tap so I won't have an accidental leak when I'm done pouring.
20200928_201412.jpg

I also just got a Pluto gun to try out and I love it. Less drips when the pour is over and it hangs easily off the keg.
20200928_201434.jpg
The 5mm ID went onto that much easier.

I can put 4mm EVA on a picnic faucet no problem and have done it 100 times. Swaging tool with keg lube on it. Dip the EVA into 150F water for 15 seconds and push the tool in. Replace the tool with the picnic barb. Oetiker clamp.

If anyone cares, the stainless steel Pluto gun accepts the Duo tight fitting and attaches right on the bottom of the gun. Just like when attaching to keg disconnects. I did this for my wife's ciders and there are no drips or leaks.

John

I think the last few posts have sold me on purchasing a Pluto gun. This is what I’ve got for my wife’s ciders and it always requires a little bit of cleanup if (when) she doesn’t tilt the tap to get that last bit out before hanging it back up.

Mainly because I’m a little more finicky about keeping the inside clean.

C45C64E8-C09E-425B-8304-DF79951CCC58.jpeg

I just fitted 4mm Eva onto an 8.2mm SS tap barb last night. The trick is incremental stretching in hot water. I eventually found using the blunt end of a newish set of twist drill bits works best for me - they usually have small chamfered ends and you probably already have a set handy. Start with the 5mm or equivalent, then pop the tube with the bit still in it in the water again briefly, remove the bit and IMMEDIATLY replace with 5.5 before it contracts, and continue until you have the 8.5mm bit in there. Should slip over the smaller barb without the barb end smunching the internal PET layer down the tube which is one of the problems. Also, try and stretch the whole length you intend to put on the barb as I had the tube perforate on this over and over when I tried to force the unstretched section on further too. These connections drove me mental until I used drill bits and I'd often cut off half a dozen failed attempts or split ends.
20200930_175310.jpg
Push-fits are the way to go if you can though.

Back