4gal batch in 5gal carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFBass

Reaction score
So after my last escapade with not leaving enough head space (see: Blowoff Tubes: a Haiku ) I realized I need a new 6.5gal carboy.

Then I realized, I gotta start a batch this weekend (working in the pit band for a musical, going to brew a batch for the closing week/cast party) if I'm going to hit my deadline. So I have ingredients, but no carboy.

Would a 4 gal batch leave enough room in a 5 gal carboy? Could I go higher with a blowoff tube with little to no repercussions?

I'm probably going to do it anyways, just want to know what im getting into :D

We brew 5 gal batches and put them in a 6.5 gal fermenter with no blowoff. You will probably be fine with 4 gal in a 5 gal fermenter. I would do a blowoff though, just to be on the safe side.

Short answer: yes you can.

Every fermentation is going to be different, I've made a batch that blew off w/o a starter... I've made a starter and maybe only got 1/2 of krausen that formed on a big beer. Its going to be different everytime, so to be safe, just put a blow off on for the first 3-4 days on every single beer you make.

Or you can use Fermcaps (foam control)...they minimize the foam, allowing you to put more in the fermenter than normal. I've used it successfully for months.

yeah prob not going to get fermcaps, being that i havn't seen them at my LHBS but i havn't really been looking. I'll give it a shot if they jump out at me.

Thanks everyone tho for the replies. Like I said, i'm probably just going to do it anyways. I bet i've already ruined the security deposit on my apartment anyways, might as well add some beer stains. I'll take pics this time if anything gets out of control!

Back