4gal anvil fermenter question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello I am looking to buying one of these 4gal anvil fermenter. But my question can one ferment 3gal batches in this 4gal anvil fermenter bucket?

That size fermenter is designed for 2.5 gallon final batch sizes. The extra 1.5 gallons is for krausen head space. You can probably do 3 gallons fine in there but there's a greater chance of krausen coming out of the airlock since there will be less head space. Should be fine for most ales but wheat beer yeasts foam up a lot and need more headspace on average.

Rev.

Stats from Anvil

The Stainless Bucket Fermentor is the perfect fermentation vessel for 2.5 to 3 gallon batches. The small design enables it to easily fit inside a refrigerated unit.

• 304 Stainless Steel.
• Coned Bottom.
• Embossed Level Markings.
• Rotating Racking Arm.
• Includes Ball Valve, Air-Lock, and Stopper.
• Liquid Crystal Thermometer

Height - 14.75" to top of lid (Add 6.25" for airlock and stopper)
Width - 14.5" handle to handle
Depth - 13.5" including valve

they sell a blow off kit for like $10 if you want it

I have one and have made a two gallon, a two and a half gallon, and now a three gallon batch in it. I picked up a stainless barb and some silicon tubing for blow off just in case(very similar to Anvil's blow off kit). So far, no overflow, but I haven't done a wheat beer in it. I like the fermentor quite a lot. Small footprint, easy to clean, and the rotating racking arm works well.

Latest posts

Back