45 Degree Refridgerator, Too Cold for Lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVarmy

Reaction score
Hi, my family has an old refrigerator that I decided to hook up to see how cold it is on the least cold setting. It came out to 45 F steady. Is this safe for lagering? Could I unplug it during primary fermentation so that it's cold and insulated, but not too cold? Or should I invest in a thermal controller?

As long as you're not talking about fermenting a lager - that I do at 50-55F. I'm talking about the lager period after primary fermentation. That I do at 37F.

-Joe

I would think that 45F is pushing it. But it all depends on the yeast strain you use, I am not too familiar with them so couldn't recommend much. I know that Saflager W-34/70 works down too 48F.

If you take into account that the heat of fermentation will warm things up ~6F you should be okay. What I would suggest would be to pitch on the higher end of the yeasts range before throwing it into the fridge. That way, by the time fermentation begins you will hopefully be up in the lower 50s.

Good luck.

Back