43rd Annual US Amateur Winemaking Competition (also Meads, Melomels, Pyments, Cysers)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acorad

Reaction score

The 43rd Annual US Amateur Winemaking Competition

will be held on

November 19, 2016

Entries must be received between October 1 and November 11, 2016.

International entries may be received earlier.

Please send entries c/o: The Home Beer, Wine and Cheesemaking Shop, in Woodland Hills, CA.
(www.HomeBeerWineCheese.com)

Entry forms and rules are posted on the club website at: http://www.CellarmastersLA.org.

Cellarmasters has been sponsoring the US Amateur Winemaking Competition
since the club was founded in 1973.

The Competition is an all-volunteer endeavor and is the oldest home wine competition in the US.

Good luck to all!

Questions?
Please email: [email protected]

Andy Coradeschi​

It looks like the competition page isn't going live until October 1st. In the meantime, can you give us any other information such as:

* cost of entry
* Will there be certified BJCP judges or is it just club members?
* are there medals involved or is it more of a bragging rights thing?

Hi Tandem Tails,

I'm told the webmaster is working on the site, so there should be more info up soon, but here are the answers to your questions:

1. Cost of entry is $10/bottle.

2. Judges are always varied, it really depends on who is available on the date of the competition. Historically we have had BJCP certified judges, most of them from our sister club the Maltose Falcons.

3. Medals are awarded to Best of Show, Gold, Silver, and Bronze entries. There is talk of expanding medals to include Best of Class this year as well, however I do not know any of the particulars about that.

The aspect I have pushed for over the past decade-plus is constructive feedback on the judging forms. ie, judges who can suggest solutions for any faults they may find in the entries.

Thanks, and I hope this helps.

Best,

Andy

Back