43 hours and the yeast already settled down... should i rack it? and other questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apisal

Reaction score
Note: for complicated reasons i am extremally unaware of the common knowledge of alcohol making, so bear with me plz... but if you want to know why, check this post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
specific gravity around 1.050 from this lookup table (i don't have a hydrometer), and the batch size is only 1 Liter, and the fermentation is at room temperature

it's been 43 hours since i started my apple juice fermentation (store bought without any interfering Preservatives) and the yeast is already settling down, is that normal?

the yeast i am using is originally used for dough, cause i can't find brewing yeast anywhere

and the fermentation slowed down alot, if it was at 100% speed at the start, it feels like 5-10% speed now

i searched about it and it raised even more questions, one guy seems to bottle his ferment after 3 days, others say you need to wait 2-3 weeks before bottling

if the fermentation slowed down alot, does that mean that most of the sugar have been converted to alcohol? does that mean it's drinkable now?

is the primary fermentation done already? should i rack it?

i don't know how alcohol smells like so i am worried it might be an infection, but it doesn't smell bad
it smells like (apple juice + chemicals + old yoghurt), is that the smell of alcohol?

Last edited:
Yes, it's normal for fermentation to slow down. At only one liter, even though your yeast isn't selected for cider, you likely used much more yeast than necessary. It's not likely done, but can't say for sure without gravity readings. To be truly sure it's finished without instruments, you should wait a couple weeks. Aging will likely only improve your product.

With this small of a batch I assume you aren't bottling it and will drink it within a day. There is no danger in drinking it earlier if you want - just will be sweeter and less alcoholic than it would have been.

Either way, chill it for several days to encourage the yeast to fall out of solution and pour carefully to leave as much yeast behind in the fermenter as you can.

Last edited:
Are you making some sort of prison wine/cider hybrid? You will get alcohol for sure but I don't know if it will taste all that good.
Can you accuire malt in your country? If so you could make wort and try to harvest some wild yeast and make really old school beer.

Can you acquire malt in your country? If so you could make wort and try to harvest some wild yeast and make really old school beer.

for me it's an experiment, so i don't want to spend all that much effort on my first try, but i will keep the malt and wort thing in mind, maybe i will use it on other batches

Are you making some sort of prison wine/cider hybrid?

i guess i am 😂😂

Last edited:
Baker's yeast isn't the most suitable for making cider. You can juice a small amount of any fruit, preferably but not necessarily organic, add it to the store-bought juice and let the yeasts naturally present on their skins do the fermentation. Sounds like you live in a country where figs grow. I remember eating overripe figs that were pretty alcoholic. They would be perfect.
I have made cider in coke bottles myself: works very well. You have to depressurize them every so often to avoid bottle bombs. Having the cap only minimally ajar is no good as it will eventually let oxygen in and you will end up with apple vinegar.
Good luck with your efforts.

Back