40l = 40ebc?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewjapan

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but I've tried searching Google and get confusing answers.

I can see some Crystal/Caramel malts listed as 40L and some as 40EBC.

Eg: Ypsilanti Brewing Company - Malts

Durst Crystal 40 EBC
Briess Caramel 40L

I thought Caramel and Crystal are essentially the same thing. Are EBC and L the same also?

Oh dear, two opposite answers there!

I'm trying to get Crystal 40L. My supplier has Caramel EBC55-85 which is the best I can do unless I order 200g from another supplier (cost of postage is more than the cost of the grain). I'm trying to work out whether 40L is in that EBC range.

One answer says yes, the other says no! Help!

The SRM color is approximately equal to the old lovibond scale in most cases. The other common method, called the European Brewing Convention (EBC) is measured at the same wavelength but in a smaller 1 cm cuvette. In practice the EBC color is approximately 1.97 times the SRM color. (EBC = 1.97 * SRM) [Ref: Daniels]

So...L=Lovibond, EBC=1.97 times the L value.
So L=EBC/1.97
So a 55-85 EBC = 28-43L

EBC is roughy double the value of SRM. (1.97 SRM = 1 ECB)

40 ECB is about 20 SRM.

You're saying 1.97srm = 1ECB

The SRM color is approximately equal to the old lovibond scale in most cases. The other common method, called the European Brewing Convention (EBC) is measured at the same wavelength but in a smaller 1 cm cuvette. In practice the EBC color is approximately 1.97 times the SRM color. (EBC = 1.97 * SRM) [Ref: Daniels]

So...L=Lovibond, EBC=1.97 times the L value.
So L=EBC/1.97
So a 55-85 EBC = 28-43L

You're saying 1.97 ECB = 1 SRM. Both of your answers end up the same so is this the right one?

:mug:

-Nick

Actually the formula on that page is: EBC = (°L X 2.65) - 1.2 :)

However which "L" is the "L" of 40L? If you look at this page, there are two:
Mash ingredients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The color of a grain or product is evaluated by the American Society of Brewing Chemists Standard Reference Method (denoted both SRM and ASBC, although the two methods are equivalent); the older Lovibond series 52 standard, (°L), which corresponds closely to SRM; or by the European Brewery Convention (EBC) standard. The British Institute of Brewing (IOB) standard was formally retired in 1991, but is still occasionally seen in the United Kingdom.

Diastatic power for a grain is measured in degrees Lintner (°Lintner or °L, although the latter can conflict with the symbol °L for Lovibond color); or in Europe by Windisch-Kolbach units (°WK).

Is it 40 Linters or 40 Lovibond when a grain is referred to as Crystal 40?

C40L = 40 Lovibond.

It is rather rare for the Diastatic power to be listed for a grain, although you can find it out if you dig a bit.

It's 40 Lovibond. Degrees Lintner is a measure of the diastatic power of the malt, and crystal has no diastatic power.

I don't think i'd worry about the -1.2

-a.

Back