4 weeks and still fermenting w/2 inch krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinarphan

Reaction score
I've been brewing for years and never had this. It is a standard pale moved to the secondary after 7 days and dry hopped. It looks ok, the krausen is almost oily on top and it smells great.

but 4 weeks and still going...?

It is steady at about 66 degrees. I've not taken the gravity, I usually don't because I don't really care. My MO has been let it finish fermenting and enjoy.

I'll take a gravity today but I don't have a starting reading.

When you say dry hopping will keep a krausen going, do you mean it will just keep the head from dropping to the bottom? My airlock is still bubbling every 20 or 30 seconds...

Thanks for the tips!

Once you get the gravity reading let us know. I'm not sure from your post but you dry hopped the same day you racked to the 2° fermenter?

Gravity is 1.022 and the airlock is actually bubbling about 45 to 50 seconds apart.

I did add the dry hops (pellets) upon racking to secondary at 7 days into fermentation. it had a large 6 inch krausen for a few days in the primary that had decreased to an inch or so.

It tastes pretty damn good but it has no clarity!

I just had the same thing with a rootbeer. Got to 1.022 and was still bubbling about the same time frame. Just moved it to secondary and still has some foam on top and bubbling a little.

This is the first time I used a starter (Usually use white labs and just pitch it) This is a wyeast english ale yeast. The krausen was about four inches high until I moved it up to the counter to transfer.

No dry hopping in this one.

Well, I decided to keg the batch....

The more I read the more I began to doubt my decision.

The sweetness of the beer confirms my mistake.

Now, suffer through it or pull it out and somehow let it finish??????

I say pull it out and let it finish. Stick some kind of airlock in it and let it go. It may be that it's just too cool, and needs to warm up to get finished faster.

It will continue to ferment in the keg, you could do with an airlock or spudding valve or just release the pressure daily. If you catch it at the right point it'll self carb and you'll have "real ale".

Thanks guys.

I'm real glad to have found this site, what an amazing resource!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back