4 month old mead sucking stopper and airlock in to the carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novak

Reaction score
Hey guys, so i have tried to find a answer but cant so i will turn to the pros. my blueberry mead is 4 months old and in the secondary fermenter carboy. everything was going fine until today when i went to check on it, the bung and airlock appear to be sucking in. ill try and post a pic. whats going on. the only thing i can think of is a temperature change but it has been in the basement and is a constant temp. the mead itself has no foreign growth on it that would indicate to me an infection. ideas???

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405620086.590284.jpgterrible picture but the top of the bung is at the second "ring" in the mouth if the carboy and the bottom of the air lock is in the middle-ish of the very top first ring and the middle. I have around 5.5 to 6 gallons of this melomel in a... I think 8 gal carboy.. ( all I had)
Thanks guys
Cheers

The bung and airlock can't get sucked in unless the airlock is plugged. Air will just pass through the air lock negating any chance of a vacuum forming.

Pull the air lock and get a hook through the bung to pull it. Add some tape to the bung to make it larger in diameter.

Sanitize well before working on it.

Temperature changes do that- but so do things like barometric pressure changes. Maybe you have a storm coming, or change in the weather?

Either way, just remove, and resit and that should fix it.

It's likely temperature changes. If you have a lot of head space, even a degree change in temperature could do this, as long as the airlock is plugged.

I've had a theory that fermentation gives off some highly reducing compounds (H2S being a famous one!) which will react with any oxygen present. Give it enough time and it may strip all the O2 from the head space, creating a negative pressure.

This is just a theory, though.

I like your theory Christ I was thinking the same thing but I thought I'd see what other people thought . Thanks guys now I can rest easy. Cheers

The bung and airlock can't get sucked in unless the airlock is plugged. Air will just pass through the air lock negating any chance of a vacuum forming.

Pull the air lock and get a hook through the bung to pull it. Add some tape to the bung to make it larger in diameter.

Sanitize well before working on it.
This......I've had back-suck due to temp drops, but it just sucks a bit o' liquid in from the airlock....the only way this could really be happening is if the airlock is plugged somehow, as flars said

Back