4 lbs of DME and only @ 1.040?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killian_77

Reaction score
I just brewed an extract version of the O'Flanagain stout in the recipe section. I used 4lbs of XLDME and my OG is only 1.040. Can this be correct? I would think the gravity would have to be higher with that much DME.
The temperature of the wort was 75 degrees and I did a 3.5 gallon boil.
Did I just get a bad sample or is there something else going on?

That sounds to be about right to me, make sure that when you take your reading that the temperature of your wort is what your hydrometer is calibrated at. Was there any steeping grains or was it just extract?

Let's see...4# of DME in 3.5 gallons is 1.050, according to Beersmith. Even assuming you didn't boil any water off and add 1.5 gallons to get to 5, that's a 1.036 OG.

So it sounds like your reading is better than expected :)

-Joe

Looks like you should end up about 1.050, assuming 75% efficiency on the partial mash part.

Did you do a partial mash, or just steep the grains? Maybe you had very low efficiency?

-Joe

I did a partial mash. Held @ 156 for 60min. Batch sparged in 175 for 10 min. Then 60 minute boil.
Oh well....I guess it is still beer.

Yeah, punching all of that into Beersmith claims 24% efficiency, which seems pretty hard to do. Maybe you did just grab a bad sample.

Either way, I'm sure it'll make beer :)

-Joe

Back