4 gauge secondary for kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
At some point I plan to get a kegerator. I have thought about a DYI keezer, but these days I get lazy. Problem is I am using a 4 gauge secondary regulator. From some of the pictures I see there is not nearly enough room to run 4 gas lines into the kegerator. Maybe I am wrong on that, and I hope I am. What options would I have for mounting and running the lines without buying one of the bigger units that holds more than 4 kegs. I have 4 kegs if that wasn't obvious.

Sounds like you have a specific make/model kegerator in mind....Which one? ...If you're still shopping; The Series-X has 2 bottle-cap openings at each top corner that will fit 2, maybe 3 EVABarrier lines through each one. Or like @mac_1103 said; just make the hole bigger... I personally can't imagine buying a fun new appliance without cutting and modding it at least a little bit. :p

It's tight, but this works well in my Kegco XCK-1B-4 with strap-handle kegs. Rubber-topped kegs might not fit.

Attachments

• IMG_20220711_222708694.jpg
    IMG_20220711_222708694.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If I can put it on the inside then all is good. Like the Pic sibelman posted, but I do have kegland kegs.

I wouldn't have a problem doing the mod. I know the good folks here have plenty of projects of their own that were shared.

As for models, nothing down to model numbers, but I keep looking at the single and double door Komos on morebeer, and the very similar ones on Williams Brewing.

The double door Komos might work with a multi-body secondary regulator on an inner door, but probably not with 8 kegs. A more svelte regulator without the big, handy knobs of the Tap-Rite, might prevent collision between the knobs and the keg tops.

The KOMOS kegerators have two pass throughs the size of 2L soda bottle caps. You can get three 8mm OD EVA lines through each.
That's good info. I have the 5/16 ultra barrier tubing. If my math (calculator) is right 5/16=8mm (very close)

Edit: on second thought, the 5/16 is ID I believe

The double door Komos might work with a multi-body secondary regulator on an inner door, but probably not with 8 kegs. A more svelte regulator without the big, handy knobs of the Tap-Rite, might prevent collision between the knobs and the keg tops.
I would still only use 4 kegs, 6 max, just to get the needed space for mounting

Full disclosure, I’ve only just converted to this setup 2 weeks ago.

I still feel a little uneasy about push fittings on the gas side but I haven’t had any issues. Overall I’m very pleased with how this went together and has worked.

If I can put it on the inside then all is good. Like the Pic sibelman posted, but I do have kegland kegs.

I wouldn't have a problem doing the mod. I know the good folks here have plenty of projects of their own that were shared.

As for models, nothing down to model numbers, but I keep looking at the single and double door Komos on morebeer, and the very similar ones on Williams Brewing.
It sounds like the kegerators you're looking at are the re-badged @KegLand Series-X...if that's the case; You will not be able to fit the regulators inside..they just don't have the space even if you used strap handled kegs however; Like @Bobby_M said; you can fit 3 EVABarrier lines per bottle-cap opening. The Ultraflex has a 9/16"OD and you'd only be able to fit one line per opening...really; Just save yourself the headaches and get some EVABarrier. I'm currently changing out the old 9/16"OD gas lines in my utility CO2-rig for 1/4"ID=3/8"OD, so I just shoved 3 of them into a pop bottle for a pic:
IMG_1626.jpg

The other ends will be swaged onto the regulator's 5/16" barb and the 2-way manifold's 3/8" barbs.
Do your regulators have barbs or MFL's and what sizes?
:mug:

UPDATE: I just finished my utility rig EVABarrier upgrade so just for the heck of it I dug up a redundant 8mm OD EVABarrier line, cut it into 4 pieces and stuffed them in a pop-bottle...Fit quite nice and loose:
IMG_1628.jpg

So yeah...do yourself the favor of passing on the Ultraflex for EVABarrier.....you won't regret it.
:mug:

If you use the 5mm ID EVA tubing (still 5/16 or 8mm OD), you can absolutely stretch it over 5/16" barbs if you use a swaging tool.
I thought about replacing the barbs on the regulator with this one. I have an old gauge that was replaced with the same, so I took the barb out and the threads measure 1/2" diameter with ruler. Does this mean I need the 1/4" flare? I can't find any 1/2" threads. Also, are MFL and NPT the same? When I search for one or the other, the same parts come up but the description always says NPT and then the barb size.

No, I've never seen a valve on a regulator that had female flare on the bottom. It's 99% 1/4" NPT but make sure when you look up inside the valve with the barb removed that the white teflon valve seat isn't exposed. If it is, you can't replace that barb fitting.

If the valve still works fine with the barb out, then you can. If that's the case, this
1718254767320.png
and
1718254784813.png

Though you may be able to go directly like this
1718254816502.png
but 1/4" BSP is a little smaller in diameter so the threads might not tighten enough for the oring to seal.

Back