4 Gallon Boil Centennial Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaviercv

Reaction score
Hi! I am new to home brewing, just bottled my first batch ( an amber ale ) which i think went well. Right now I have a DIPA fermenting and am preparing for another batch.
I have a gigawort masher from Northern Brewing, so i am limited to 4 Gallons of mashing volume. I really want to try brewing the Centennial blonde using brew in a bag, but every recipe I find online has >4 brew volume.
Since i am just a beginner, I don’t yet know how to create my own recipe or modify existing ones correctly.
I would love some advice/ a recipe for the centennial blonde that I could make using a BIAB and my 4 Gal boiling volume Gigawort. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

You can make a higher gravity wort and then top off with bottled or boiled water. Maximize your mash with 1.25 quarts per pound of grain, use online calculators to figure out where you need to be. Make sure you get a good crush on your grain or you will not get the gravity you need.

I have a gigawort masher from Northern Brewing, so i am limited to 4 Gallons of mashing volume. I really want to try brewing the Centennial blonde using brew in a bag, but every recipe I find online has >4 brew volume.
Since i am just a beginner, I don’t yet know how to create my own recipe or modify existing ones correctly.

A recipe is a record of what someone else did. In this case they used more water for the mash and either did no sparge or limited sparge. You can simply use less water for the mash, then use a sparge step to collect more sugars from the grain as you adjust the volume. I do it regularly as I mash in a 5 gallon pot and make 3.5 to 4 gallon batches. I use cool water for the sparge and it works well, only slowing the wort from reaching the boil by a few minutes.

Back